Swedish Flower Hens!

He's Gorgeous!! That's how my Pip is- gentle, brave, such a Mama's boy! All 3 do their best w all of my girls... My oldest daughter wants me to incubate some eggs before I find a new home for the 2 SFH Roos that throw so much white ( mainly from their excursions w the Polish!)

hi!:ya Is there anyone with Swedish flower hens out there!:D I want this to be a forum about Swedish Flower hens so if you have any or want some feel free to tell us your thoughts about (in my opinion) one of the best breeds on the planet

This is my cockerel Daisy (the weird thing on his neck is a rooster collar, he is loud):barnie
View attachment 1208806 View attachment 1208807
This is a hen named Marshmallow
View attachment 1208798
And this hen is named cocoa
View attachment 1208799
This pullet is named lavender
View attachment 1208802
And lastly this pullet is named Marigold
View attachment 1208800
I also have two cuckoo Marans and a brown leghorn. I used to have another leghorn and 2 Easter eggers but a pesky dog killed them:barnieoh I also had a really sweet silkie pullet that became a cooper hawks dinner.:hit At least nothing has eaten any of my swedens... yet.
I just the patterns on Swedish flower hen feathers, here is a close up of marshmallow’sView attachment 1208805

Have you had much success with the rooster collar?? I've been going back and forth on them and just don't know what to do. The 3 "poullets" couldn't be returned if they ended up being Roos, & I'm in a residential. I have ad placed on Craigslist for them, but until then I didn't know if I should use this on my "loudmouth"....I've read the pros and cons and I'm so conflicted but don't want to push it w the neighbors until I can find them a happy home
Thanks!

hi sugarhead. :frowI think that it worked great except for the part where it almost killed my rooster!:th:eek: I had just moved my chickens to a new run when he started running backward furiously and gulping air. I caught him and he was turning purple!:sick I think he probably ate a large bug and the rooster collar stopped him from breathing. :hmmI have now refined from using it even though I now have to shut him in a dark shed all night.:he in conclusion unless you have a yard with no big things (brush piles etc.) then it should be fine, though no guarantee.:confused:

hi sugarhead. :frowI think that it worked great except for the part where it almost killed my rooster!:th:eek: I had just moved my chickens to a new run when he started running backward furiously and gulping air. I caught him and he was turning purple!:sick I think he probably ate a large bug and the rooster collar stopped him from breathing. :hmmI have now refined from using it even though I now have to shut him in a dark shed all night.:he in conclusion unless you have a yard with no big things (brush piles etc.) then it should be fine, though no guarantee.:confused:

Thank you bird maniac! No, I'm thinking the pool might be a problem then Though the Polish have taken an unexpected dip once... Uggg, I was afraid it wouldn't be the answer either, but thank you so much for replying!

I have two. They are a lot of fun. A bit flighty sometimes. I have to periodically trim their head puff because the feathers hang down over their eyes and they can't see very well. They will try to peck at food and just look like a couple of drunk maniacs! I always know when they are due for a trim because they get flighty and freak out if another chicken bumps into them haha. Probably because they didn't see the other chicken standing there and they got scared. When they are kept trimmed then they are friendly and will be the first chickens to see me and come running to me squawking the whole way! We call them the HufflePuffs.

Attachments

• IMG_5327.JPG
    IMG_5327.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 28
I have two. They are a lot of fun. A bit flighty sometimes. I have to periodically trim their head puff because the feathers hang down over their eyes and they can't see very well. They will try to peck at food and just look like a couple of drunk maniacs! I always know when they are due for a trim because they get flighty and freak out if another chicken bumps into them haha. Probably because they didn't see the other chicken standing there and they got scared. When they are kept trimmed then they are friendly and will be the first chickens to see me and come running to me squawking the whole way! We call them the HufflePuffs.

Garden4Life,
Welcome & your babies are beautiful!!

I bought one because I'd heard great things about the breed and indeed she is a sweet little thing as well as pretty ! Def will be more in my future ....don't tell my husband ...lolol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180422-221009.png
    Screenshot_20180422-221009.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom