Sweet hen suddenly a bully

Matilda Belle

Crowing
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
My sweet hen is suddenly bullying my 4 month old pullet for no reason and out of the blue. She chases her around and pulled a bunch of feathers from crest. She’s never done this before? Why is she doing this all the sudden and what should I do besides separate them for now?

It depends on the degree of the bullying. Is it simply pecking order behavior? Or is she chasing the bird down, pinning it and pulling out feathers? The latter is what you need to address.
How much space do your birds have? If you’ve noticed her pecking at the other one while eating, set up two separate feeding / watering stations.

It is the latter. She is chasing the pullet down and pinning her down. I am currently growing some out so I’m a little over population but not by much and the growouts are pretty little yet. I have 15 total chickens. My coop is 56 square feet and my run is 200 square feet.

I do have them separate for now. I’m wondering if there is something wrong with the pullet that she would do this maybe?

I would put her in chicken jail immediately. Use a dog crate that’s in the run so she can still be a part of the flock, Fresh water and food.... give the little bird a chance to re establish herself in the pecking order and gain some confidence. After a few days the bully should calm down a little and hopefully change her behavior. If not, I would seriously consider her for freezer camp.

It didn't seem like the pullet was trying to be dominant. When the hen would pin her down, the pullet wouldn't fight her at all. She just laid down and took the beating and didn't fight back.

I have the pullet in a rabbit hutch for the day. She seems pretty shook up. Hopefully this evening I can put her back with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom