Swollen Abdomen and Lethargic

Beth77

Chirping
Aug 10, 2015
Scotland
FE9D87D9-26F9-4529-A67F-88053F291BE2.jpeg Hi guys, my hen has a swollen abdomen/drooping tail with some occasional laboured breathing. She’s been like this for a day or so, I don’t really want to take her to the vets as I have several past experiences with extremely high costs due to ill chickens.

Any suggestions of what it could be and some remedies so I can treat her at home? I’ll attach a pic.

Thanks

View attachment 1721618 Hi guys, my hen has a swollen abdomen/drooping tail with some occasional laboured breathing. She’s been like this for a day or so, I don’t really want to take her to the vets as I have several past experiences with extremely high costs due to ill chickens.

Any suggestions of what it could be and some remedies so I can treat her at home? I’ll attach a pic.

Thanks
I'm sorry about your hen :hugs
When is the last time she laid an egg? Any odd or soft shell eggs?
Have you felt inside the vent for an egg?
Is she pooping o.k.?
What do you normally feed?

The abdomen is swollen - does it feel hard or tight like a water balloon?

The labored breathing along with swelling is concerning. She may have a reproductive disorder like Salpingitis, Ascites, cancer, tumors, Internal Laying or Egg Yolk Peritontis.
Symptoms can include - lethargy, loss of appetite, loose stools, weight loss, swelling or fluid in the abdomen, labored breathing, difficulty walking and crop issues.

IF the abdomen is full of fluid, sometimes you can give them some relief by draining. Fluid could be from reproductive problems or organ malfunction/fatty liver disease.
Draining is risky and you can introduce bacteria into the abdomen and cause infection. Some hens can live for a long time after draining, while others still decline.

View attachment 1721618 Hi guys, my hen has a swollen abdomen/drooping tail with some occasional laboured breathing. She’s been like this for a day or so, I don’t really want to take her to the vets as I have several past experiences with extremely high costs due to ill chickens.

Thanks
hello beth... I was wondering what the outcome was for your hen? one of mine has the same symptoms!! and I'm keeping here in the house tonight as it really doesnt look good for her....

hello beth... I was wondering what the outcome was for your hen? one of mine has the same symptoms!! and I'm keeping here in the house tonight as it really doesnt look good for her....
Hi @SusanRans :frow Welcome To BYC

Beth has not been online since April.
I'm sorry your hen is not well :hugs If you wish to share some photos and more information, we will be glad to offer you support or suggestions.

Hi @SusanRans :frow Welcome To BYC

Beth has not been online since April.
I'm sorry your hen is not well :hugs If you wish to share some photos and more information, we will be glad to offer you support or suggestions.
oh hi!, sorry new to this forum... i looked up similar symptoms to what my hen has... swollen red kinda underneath but between her legs and hot!!, and she was panting when went out to lock the coop.. i brought her in the house and she settled down abit and sat on my lap... which is unusual, ive put her in the laundry room on a blanket and she's sitting fine, not panting as much. recently wormed but she hasnt laid for about 2 weeks, i figured that was down to moulting?...

oh hi!, sorry new to this forum... i looked up similar symptoms to what my hen has... swollen red kinda underneath but between her legs and hot!!, and she was panting when went out to lock the coop.. i brought her in the house and she settled down abit and sat on my lap... which is unusual, ive put her in the laundry room on a blanket and she's sitting fine, not panting as much. recently wormed but she hasnt laid for about 2 weeks, i figured that was down to moulting?...
Is she molting too?
The swelling is concerning, does it feel fluid filled?

Back
Top Bottom