Swollen Caruncle

CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Georgia
Monday after work i came home and noticed my toms caruncle/wattle was / is swollen 2x its normal size.
started oxytetraceline thinking an infection. 2 days later it seem to be the same. any ideas??

He is alone. No other birds with him.
1f61e.png

Monday after work i came home and noticed my toms caruncle/wattle was / is swollen 2x its normal size.
started oxytetraceline thinking an infection. 2 days later it seem to be the same. any ideas??

You can do a search to hopefully find the threads relating to this from last year. Of the threads that I recall, one turkey developed severe swelling due to a bite from a venomous snake. All the other threads that I remember the swelling was due to Avian Flu. Avian Flu can be passed to your poultry by songbirds, etc. As I recall, Avian Flu was present in Georgia last year.

It may be helpful to post pictures of your ailing turkey. It may also be beneficial to check in the Emergencies / Injuries / Cures forum. The members in that forum are more up to date on health problems of poultry. Most poultry diseases and health problems are similar whether they are chickens or other poultry.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom