Greystone farm

Songster
Jul 7, 2020
Hey! :)
So as some of you may know my Welsh Harlequin duck, (who turned out to be a drake lol) Charlie, has a swollen face. This started when he was about two weeks old. He's probably around eight weeks now. Over time it got a lot better before flaring up again, and now both sides of his face are quite swollen. He acts normally aside from breathing a little heavier than normal. He swims at least twice a day in the kiddie pool (not the pond right now because of the leeches...they keep getting stuck in the duck's noses) and has access to clean, deep water at all times. I put a warm compress on his face for about fifteen minutes every day, which hasn't really helped either.
I treated him with antibiotics back when it first started when he was about two weeks old, and again for a few days about a week ago. It didn't help.
My vet won't be able to get here for a visit to look at him until September so I'm on my own.
I always assumed it was a sinus blockage that got inflamed. At first, it was soft to the touch but as the swollen part got bigger it got a little harder too.
I was reading online and thought of maybe trying to feed him some chamomile tea to help with the inflammation as well as some herbs such as basil and oregano to help as well. I don't know whether lancing it would work...I am able to contact the vet via email so if need be I guess I could ask her advice for lancing and draining it.
Any help would be appreciated ❤ thanks!

I remember your other post. Did anything help? The chamomile tea would be good used as a compress. I use it on my dog when she gets allergies. Her eyes swell a bit and I apply cool tea to her face. I've heard about adding a drop of oregano oil to the water to help with issues. It won't hurt to do either of those things. I'm wondering if it's an allergy?
Myself, I wouldn't lance it unless there is an odd smell (like puss) or if he had mucus coming out. But, I'm also not verse in duck sinus issues either.
Do you have an updated pic?

I remember your other post. Did anything help? The chamomile tea would be good used as a compress. I use it on my dog when she gets allergies. Her eyes swell a bit and I apply cool tea to her face. I've heard about adding a drop of oregano oil to the water to help with issues. It won't hurt to do either of those things. I'm wondering if it's an allergy?
Myself, I wouldn't lance it unless there is an odd smell (like puss) or if he had mucus coming out. But, I'm also not verse in duck sinus issues either.
Do you have an updated pic?
Thanks for the help! I'll see if I can get some chamomile tea and oregano oil. I'll post an updated pic later today :)

Hey! :)
So as some of you may know my Welsh Harlequin duck, (who turned out to be a drake lol) Charlie, has a swollen face. This started when he was about two weeks old. He's probably around eight weeks now. Over time it got a lot better before flaring up again, and now both sides of his face are quite swollen. He acts normally aside from breathing a little heavier than normal. He swims at least twice a day in the kiddie pool (not the pond right now because of the leeches...they keep getting stuck in the duck's noses) and has access to clean, deep water at all times. I put a warm compress on his face for about fifteen minutes every day, which hasn't really helped either.
I treated him with antibiotics back when it first started when he was about two weeks old, and again for a few days about a week ago. It didn't help.
My vet won't be able to get here for a visit to look at him until September so I'm on my own.
I always assumed it was a sinus blockage that got inflamed. At first, it was soft to the touch but as the swollen part got bigger it got a little harder too.
I was reading online and thought of maybe trying to feed him some chamomile tea to help with the inflammation as well as some herbs such as basil and oregano to help as well. I don't know whether lancing it would work...I am able to contact the vet via email so if need be I guess I could ask her advice for lancing and draining it.
Any help would be appreciated ❤ thanks!
UPDATE
I’ve been feeding Charlie some basil, oregano, thyme and sage daily(which he readily accepts) and his face looks far better. Sorry I didn’t post a photo, I’ve been crazy busy.
Yesterday a vet came to check it out. She took a sample from the swollen area and will be running some tests. She thinks there is something going on in his lower as well as upper respiratory track.
But she said he’s in an otherwise perfect condition and we shouldn’t be too worried while we wait for the tests to come back.
Charlie was very sweet and good even as she stuck the thermometer up his vent and the needle into his chubby cheek. Very proud of him.

I'm glad you're getting some help with this. I didn't get the notification that you replied or I missed it.
Hope he continues to get better and that the vet finds the reason behind the issue.

Back
Top Bottom