Swollen/Enlarged Hock, Foot, & Leg

fulla03

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
We have an almost one-year-old hen who, several weeks ago, started limping. She also had a slightly swollen leg. I checked her out and didn't see any physical injuries (no signs of scaly leg mites or bumble foot).
This happened after several weeks of bad winter weather in our area, so I thought "maybe she just sprained it". I left her with the flock for another day or two to see if she would start improving independently. I saw no improvement so I went ahead and separated her from the flock and brought her inside for "recovery" in a dog crate.
She has received several Epsom salt baths. She is eating and drinking normal and does not appear to be losing weight. She is not lethargic. There are no signs of respiratory issues. Her poops look normal, maybe slightly greener than I would expect them to be for being inside for several weeks, but nothing alarming. We have used Vetericyn on the leg/foot just in case we are missing something, but we have yet to see any physical improvement.
I'm at work -- otherwise I'd post a picture -- but her entire right leg, foot, all the way up to and past the hock are swollen. The foot and leg aren't grossly enlarged, but definitely bigger than the left. If you look at her dead on, you can clearly tell her right side is much bigger than the left. She is definitely still avoiding standing on the leg... and keeps it up or tucked under her while laying. She also JUST laid an egg yesterday - first one in several weeks.

I'm at a loss and hoping you guys can help provide some insight here. We try not to cull unless we know they won't recover. We don't mind giving her an antibiotic IF it's safe but I don't want to just play a guessing game either as to which one to give her.

Pics just for a better visual of what is swollen/enlarged.
External Chicken Anatomy.jpg

Chicken Internal Anatomy.jpg

Does any part of the leg or joint seem thicker, in case there was a fracture? Have you looked closely for a hair or string, or an imbedded leg band that was wrapped around the leg?

Back
Top Bottom