Swollen eye in chicken

guineamom13

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Hello, all. One of our chicken girls has swelling around one of her eyes. What should we do? We've never had this issue in the 10 years we've had chickens and guineas. Thanks for your help. First pic shows the swollen eye and second pic shows the unswollen eye.
swollen chicken.jpg
no swollen.jpg

Have you added any new birds to your flock in the past couple of weeks? I would try to get some Tylan 50 or Tylosin powder for the water to treat her in case it is a respiratory disease. You cannget Tylosin from online stores such as Jedds.com. Also, I would look into her eye for any foxtails, dirt, or foreign body. Saline or eye wash can be used to clean her eye if there is foam or gunk. Then twice a day put a small dab of either plain triple antibiotic or Terramycin eye ointment into the eye.

Thanks for your help! We got Terramycin and put a dose in. No, we haven't gotten any new birds since 2020! Nothing has changed. Her eye itself looks okay, and no one is showing signs of respiratory illness. I can still get the Tylosin to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom