Swollen Feet on Hen

Her feet are really swollen. I did have to re-do the the procedure. I didn't realize that you really have to DIG that plug out. I got it done. Ruby was great. She really didn't give me much issue. I wish I knew what was wrong before now, but I didn't. She's still acting fine so I hope I got it in time. I'm going to have to start checking the girls weekly for this so we can keep it under control. Their area isn't overly rough. If it weren't for the abundance of poop I would have no problem walking there with bare feet.

I have an aruacana who, at about 6 months old started limping, first one leg, then the other, and stopped laying after only laying for a few weeks. She uses her wings to help her get around, and is doing amazingly well despite her handicap! She eats and drinks just fine, but still, no eggs. My first thought was she was egg bound, but that is not the case. It's been 3 months now, nothing has changed, except that she seems to have figured out how to negotiate getting around better. I don't see any signs of cuts on her feet. I have 10 hens total, and none of the others exhibit these symptoms. Any ideas? Should I put her out of her misery? She's very sweet!

I wouldn't put her down unless you need to cull your flock. Mine are all quasi pets, so no one gets culled. 9 months and no eggs? Is that normal for her breed? I know when it's really hot here some of my girls don't lay for a day or two. I think they just get stressed and it messes with their system.

Ruby (chicken with bumble foot) is doing much better. I use Dr. Scholls corn pads on the bottom of her feed before wrapping and that really helps keep the Neosporin in.

Now that it's a little cooler, I need to treat Metallica for bumble foot. It has really gone through my flock. I am trying to do the surgeries when it's cool enough out that I don't over stress the birds. Something about 93* out with a feels like temperature of 103* stresses everyone out.

I have an aruacana who, at about 6 months old started limping, first one leg, then the other, and stopped laying after only laying for a few weeks. She uses her wings to help her get around, and is doing amazingly well despite her handicap! She eats and drinks just fine, but still, no eggs. My first thought was she was egg bound, but that is not the case. It's been 3 months now, nothing has changed, except that she seems to have figured out how to negotiate getting around better. I don't see any signs of cuts on her feet. I have 10 hens total, and none of the others exhibit these symptoms. Any ideas? Should I put her out of her misery? She's very sweet!
It sounds a bit like Mareks disease. How is she doing now?

It's most likely bumblefoot. They get cuts in their feet and the feet get infected with a staff infection. Usually there's a scab on the bottom of the foot. 1/2 my flock has this due to the thorny trees and bushes they walk on and then walking through the swamp free ranging.

You need to wear gloves as they can pass on the staff infection to you. Soak her feet for 10 minutes minimum, remove the scab and the nasty cheesy infection inside called the plug. Rinse out the foot under water, pack it with antibiotic ointment, put a gauze over the open area with more ointment and wrap the feet. Repeat daily! Usually when it's this bad, they need antibiotics too.

I first wrapped mine in medical tape and gauze until I got some vet wrap. The vet wrap is awesome stuff and easy to use.

This is extremely painful for the hen to walk around like this and its catchy to humans.

Here is on of my hens feet on the bottom.
600262c2-cd25-d52c.jpg

600262c2-cd38-cd6d.jpg

I caught mine in time before the swelling. I have a smaller flock and do a weekly check on every hen.

My chickens have the exact same thing, I thought it was because of the cold and they weren't getting enough food. But I'll check and see if they have black scabs on there feet.

My hen, Garnet seems to have a swollen toe that does not look like any of he other pictures on this thread.

I am wondering what it is? It is just her back toe and nothing else on her foot.

The only discrepancy I found was the toes were shrivled not swollen like hers is.
The black part of the nail could be were it died because it was exposed to germs or mud.
It does not look like bumblefoot, because I've had a chicken before that has had it and it looked nothing like this.

Back
Top Bottom