Swollen leg/foot

LaynaDon95

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
Hi there guys! I know it's been forever since I've been on. Most of you probably won't even know me anymore. I got married and moved out of my parents' house (obviously) and don't have chickens anymore, so I've not had a need to post. But anyway, I was at my parents' house today and my mom told me she had a rooster with a swollen leg. (My favorite rooster! He's such a pretty boy and does an amazing job protecting the ladies.) I went to look at him and I can't figure it out. His leg and foot are swollen, below the hock. The hock is not swollen. I thought maybe bumblefoot, but no sign of that. No obvious injuries other than a missing toenail that looks like it healed up a while ago. He does act like it's painful though and won't put weight on it. Maybe he broke something?
He seems otherwise healthy. Red comb/wattles, bright eyes, healthy weight, full crop, He's missing some neck feathers, so I'm assuming he and the other roo got into it, which may have been what caused his foot injury as well. It could possibly be molting, but with the time of year and everything I doubt it. His comb has no injuries like it has in the past when he's gotten into fights. (He doesn't fight often, but now and again the other roo likes to challenge his authority and he has to show him who's boss again.)
My mom has him separated from the flock for now in a tractor. She's added electrolites, probiotics, and a few other things to his water I can't remember. He's eating well. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom