Swollen throat labored breathing

nikkinewlin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
My 6 year old polish hen is having trouble breathing. It sounds wet and gargily for lack of better words. Her neck is swollen right below the beak. It is soft and mushy, crop feels empty. She is a bit lethargic but she is eating and drinking. Poop is normal. This has been going on for about a week. What is it and how can I treat it?

This is probably caused by a respiratory (such as sinus) infection or else gapeworm. It could also be pox. Open up the mouth and look down into the throat. Can you see any lumps or swelling? If it isn't worms or pox, I would get her on antibiotics as fast as possible.

If it isn't in the crop, I doubt its a blockage of any kind.

I hope she gets better soon!

Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases such as MG, infectious bronchitis, coryza, and ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Does she have a bad odor, or have you recently added any new bird to your flock that may have been a carrier of a respiratory disease? Corya can cause swelling of the wattles, but since it is her neck that is swollen, I'm not sure. I have seen neck swelling in Mareks disease pictures similr to that. As Gita advised, look into her throat with a light for any abnormal tissue.

So I have been researching and am going crazy trying to diagnose this bird. I forgot to add that she has been on Duramiacin for a week (broad spectrum antibiotics) if it is gapeworm, will safeguard treat them? There is odd crusty stuff in her throat... Is there a better antibiotic I should use? I have tylan injectable on hand. Also, I started her on vitamins and electrolyte s yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom