Greystone farm

Songster
Jul 7, 2020
Hi there! My precious Rhode Island Red hen Oakley seems to have a bloated/swollen abdomen and I have no clue what to do about it. She has a rather intense medical history... over a year ago Oakley was attacked by a wild animal and her esophagus was ripped open. She underwent a surgery and, against all odds, survived. Afterwards she was on antibiotics for a month or two. A year after that she had an impacted crop that I was able to fix with some fasting and olive oil. And now, this!
How can I help her? I’m pretty sure that she was vaccinated for Mareks and such as a chick (she is over 2 years old now) and she has one other symptom of water belly (very slightly labored breathing). Could she have ingested a bad plant? Is she dying? How can I help my poor baby?
P.S. She just had an epsom salt bath and I am going to give her some apple cider vinegar and olive oil

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 6
How can I help her? I’m pretty sure that she was vaccinated for Mareks and such as a chick (she is over 2 years old now) and she has one other symptom of water belly (very slightly labored breathing). Could she have ingested a bad plant? Is she dying? How can I help my poor baby?
Hi Oakley.

When is the last time she laid an egg?
Swelling of the abdomen - if you think it's fluid (symptom Ascites) can be due to reproductive disorders and/or something going on with the organs (heart/liver, etc.).
Birds with fluid in the abdomen often do have labored breathing because of pressure from the fluid on organs/lungs and air sacs.

Some folks drain the fluid themselves. A vet may do it for you.
@coach723 has seen some good results with using a detox, but if she's in distress, draining may be needed and the detox used as supportive therapy. Neither draining nor detox are cures for Ascites or what's causing the symptoms, but they may make her more comfortable for a while.

Hi Oakley.

When is the last time she laid an egg?
Swelling of the abdomen - if you think it's fluid (symptom Ascites) can be due to reproductive disorders and/or something going on with the organs (heart/liver, etc.).
Birds with fluid in the abdomen often do have labored breathing because of pressure from the fluid on organs/lungs and air sacs.

Some folks drain the fluid themselves. A vet may do it for you.
@coach723 has seen some good results with using a detox, but if she's in distress, draining may be needed and the detox used as supportive therapy. Neither draining nor detox are cures for Ascites or what's causing the symptoms, but they may make her more comfortable for a while.

Thanks for the tips! I’ll look into this!

Back
Top Bottom