Swollen Vent

tingupinguu

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2022
I was taking my duck out of the coop and i noticed that she has a big swollen red vent. It seems to hurt too since she does little screams, What can i do about this? How can i help her?

Last edited:
Hello, @tingupinguu

Can you tell us a little more, and perhaps post a photograph

What sort of duck is she? How old is she? Is she laying? Have there been any problems laying? Is she pooing normally?

I am unclear where you mean by her bum. I thought bum meant buttocks and obviously ducks don't have buttocks. Ducks do have a vent underneath where they lay eggs does your duck have a red swollen vent. Ducks also have a preen gland at the base of their tail on their back. Does yours have a red swollen preen gland?

It will be most helpful if you can post a photograph of the problem. Are you in the UK? If you are I guess ypu won't see this until Thursday morning and most of us will not see your reply until afternoon your time. So the communication will be a little slow

Yes, I meant vent, Sorry for the confusion.
She is three years old, She is pooping but she seems to struggle, its like little poops, She has not been laying, Her preen gland is not swollen red.

I was able to take a picture of it this morning, But im not sure how to send a photo here

IMG_4069.jpeg

This is how her vent looks, What can i do to help her?

@Quatie rec hydrocortisone ointment it will bring down swelling. Also warm site baths with some Epsom salts mixed in you’ll just have to keep her from drinking the water since it’s also a laxative. It’s a small prolapse it looks like

I would treat her with hydrocortisone ointment 3-4 times a day. The ointment is more effective than the cream. I would also put on bacitracin, also know as Neosporin. It is likely infected. If you do have hydrocortisone cream, use the bacatracin on top to help seal in the hydrocortisone. You can also give her an anti-inflammatory drug like aspirin or ibuprofen. I don't know the dosage for aspirin. Ibuprofen is 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day.

Has she has any issues with laying eggs? Prolapses can be caused by issues with laying softshelled eggs. I would recommend giving her extra calcium during this time if she was experiencing other laying issues.

Also, if you have drakes, I would keep her separated from them. And feed her moisten crushed up pellets to help give her vent a break.

I would also soak her in long baths a couple times a day. I have found the prolapses will start to reverse themselves in the water as the tissue starts to heal.

If you can see a vet, that is going to be her best option. But I get it if it is not an option

Back
Top Bottom