Symptoms of Wry neck

Arielle,
I found a nice link on a young poult with wry neck: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1109702/

Sounds like you are doing good with feeding it Vitamin E.
I hope he pulls through for you!
fl.gif

From this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

re vit. supplementation:
Please note that vitamin E (at therapeutic dosage) is absorbed only in combination with selenium (the two are interdependent on each other)... if there is a malabsorption issue in general this will also affect absorption and therefore it is a good idea to give a general supplement like Avia Charge 2000 ...
Vit A (in excess ) will negatively affect uptake of vit E so you should not use the Polyvisol in combination with the vitamin E/selenium as a general rule.

Arielle,
I found a nice link on a young poult with wry neck: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1109702/

Sounds like you are doing good with feeding it Vitamin E.
I hope he pulls through for you!
fl.gif

From this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

Quote: Here is some of my collected info on neurological symptoms of crookneck/limberneck:
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

re vit. supplementation:
Please note that vitamin E (at therapeutic dosage) is absorbed only in combination with selenium (the two are interdependent on each other)... if there is a malabsorption issue in general this will also affect absorption and therefore it is a good idea to give a general supplement like Avia Charge 2000 ...
Vit A (in excess ) will negatively affect uptake of vit E so you should not use the Polyvisol in combination with the vitamin E/selenium as a general rule.

You are a genius!! THank you. Will take the time to read thru it ALL.

I fed lemon flavored gatorade. THis was recommended for sheep/lambs by my vet many years ago so I ALWAYS have powdered on hand. So I put some of the Vita mine E drops into it, stir and feed.

Thought the molasses would taste good, it has calories and minerals, and added VitE/Se granules to it and fed it via dropper.

I'm concerned abut the need for calories as it doesn't want to eat unless I put it in his mouth.

You are a genius!! THank you. Will take the time to read thru it ALL.

I fed lemon flavored gatorade. THis was recommended for sheep/lambs by my vet many years ago so I ALWAYS have powdered on hand. So I put some of the Vita mine E drops into it, stir and feed.

Thought the molasses would taste good, it has calories and minerals, and added VitE/Se granules to it and fed it via dropper.

I'm concerned abut the need for calories as it doesn't want to eat unless I put it in his mouth.
Glad you found the links useful. I've been trying to look this up for you once I read the post about your poult.

If you ever have a problem feeding them, try a syringe (or dropper) and fill it up with the liquid. Gently put the syringe up to his beak and drip it on it. The three special needs chicks I've raised, this is how I got them to drink. I always get nervous putting it directly in their beak because they are usually so weak I'm scared they will inhale it.

I'm not sure if you are concerned about getting food into him quite yet, but when it comes time to try making the chick starter into dust. Either get the dust leftover at the bottom of the feed bag or pound the starter food to make it into dust. Mix it with a little water (or your vitamin mix you made would also probably work) to make it mushy. Smear a little on his beak to get him to ingest it.

Also, on the previous post of mine ( ) dlhunicorn whom I qouted said "Vit A (in excess ) will negatively affect uptake of vit E so you should not use the Polyvisol in combination with the vitamin E/selenium as a general rule."

I just want to make sure that you knew about that.

Good Luck with him!

Good point on the POly vi sol--I stopped that and will focus on the VitE /Se supplement. A small pinch in molasses water. I tlike the gatorae, but loves the molasses water. Drinks about 2 ml--seems like a lot of fluids in one feeding.

Will make a wet mash at the next meal.

Thank you!!

Wry neck.can come about many ways. ...
Often you will notice the bird tilting its head a little. Sometimes.they will look up with one eye..called star gazing. Sometimes they will.start rolling their head from side to side.. Sometimes their neck will just swoop around to the side...or they may tuck their head under their belly...or their head upside down..or any combination. Some will do it once in awhile while others will keep backing.up or even rolling over.

I like tp use a product for.goats...I get from Jeffers livestock. It is a.orange gel of vita E & a small amount of selinium. I give this and poultry nutri drench vitamins. If the.neck.twists very bad I will make a neck wrap out of duct tape and paper.towel.

Back
Top Bottom