T.V. or not to T.V, this is my question...

franklinstreetwest

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Urban Jungle
Okay, so almost two years ago our television was stolen. It was a decent one, 32" flat panel. I was up on the front porch roof working to scrape the paint off the house, my mother was helping me. Someone or someones walked through the front door, beneath our feet, took the television and my other half's laptop and went back out the front door in broad daylight...

We bought a new laptop for Mike, but we just didn't buy a new T.V.. We haven't owned a television since that day. I get increasing flack for being a "hippie", which I don't quite get because that movement was old news before I was born. I do really miss PBS broadcasting, but I can stream that on the internet mostly. The only annoying bit is practically every day someone references some hilarious commercial they've seen and says "you know that one thing that blah d blah...everyones seen it! I don't even watch TV that much and I'VE seen it....oh yoou'll know!"...but I TOTALLY don't.

Do you own a television? If not, why did you choose not to? What is everyones television position?

I LOVE my TV, and I sleep with it on, also. I can tell what time it is at night when I wake up, just by what is on the TV. I have gotten used to the noise. I have a TV on somewhere in the house whenever I'm in the house.

No T.V for me!

Well, my mother has a great huge flat T.V, but I just don't watch it.

Why?

Well, because I think there are far better things to do with your life. Like an addiction, I think so many people are so caught up in their television sets, they forget that life can be quite nice without one.

When I have need of entertainment, I read (alot).. I write... I draw house plans LOL... I have my laptop here and browse the forum, look stuff up, and constantly forget to check my mail and PM's... and sometimes I just ponder (usually while trying to draw house plans
tongue.png
).

Amazing the amount of pondering one can do when you're not all caught up in needing to be entertained.

On top of that, if I really feel like it, as I said I have my laptop, and have a Netflix account, so I can watch the stuff I do like. Not only does that leave it up to me when to watch a show (like Dirty Jobs
tongue.png
)... but NO ADDS!
I HATE ADDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smack.gif

Quote:
Agreed! I do a lot of streaming, and internet doodling... I actually accomplish things too, it's refreshing. I was a total TV junkie for much of my life. Do you design houses currently or aspire to in the future? Or do you just like the process of envisioning different designs?

Oh no, I just do it for the fun of the process
tongue.png

I don't know, maybe I should consider doing it. My father was a self-taught architect/owned a construction company.... well I always wanted to "fix" his different designs and houses, to make them more open and welcoming and functional.

But I'm not so great at the drawing.... thus all the pondering
lol.png

Last edited:
We don't have TV. DH and I haven't had one in years, we don't watch it because IMHO it's mostly garbage. I prefer to spend my time doing something else, sitting around watching TV seems like such a waste of time and life. Not to mention I can't stand watching TV shows, between the commercials, boring sitcoms, and reality TV? no thanks! I have internet, it's all I need

Quote:
We didn't really have TV when I was growing up...I remember one when I was very little. After that, nothing. After I got out and on my own, I just followed suit. I got a TV, VCR/DVD player and me and my kids watched movies now and again, but never any actual TV programming.

Best thing that ever happened to me way back when I was little and the best choice I made in my kids' lives also. We read books....lots and lots of books. We play cards and board games or just BE together. I don't have to worry what drivel is seeping into their minds and stealing their individuality, ability to make their own decisions, and their sensibilities.

TV is one huuuuugeeeee TIME SUCK. Hours will pass while one zones out staring at the box..hours that could have been better filled with quality activities that actually teach one something. Barring the nature programs~which are also off kilter in their information~there isn't anything educational or uplifting on regular TV that I've ever seen when I've read about it, visited others and watched it, etc.

I'm staying at my mother's house right now and she has 250 channels of pure, unadulterated ignorance. I lose 20 IQ points just blipping through the menu!

I'm on your side....no TV? No problem!

I have a dang nice 42 inch up on the wall, excellent surround sound with flush mounted ceiling speakers. But I dont have cable or anything. I just use it for DVDs. I sometimes miss watching the news, because I'm so out of touch with current events. I dont get a newspaper nor do I look at news on the internet. Id rather have it read to me while I ate breakfast.

Basically, I'm too much of a cheapskate. Its just another bill to get in the mail. I may one day pirate my neighbors cable and split the bill with him, but I just dont miss it enough yet.

Another vote for no tv. We do watch netflix, and movies when we're of a mind to, but without watching tv all the time, I rarely know what movies are coming out
hmm.png

One great thing about raising commercial free kids is this time of year. Co-workers are talking about their kids having the "I wants" and the "buy me this's" for Christmas. I asked my boys two days ago what they want for Christmas and they're still thinking it over. They're not bombarded with advertising all the time, so might actually make up their own minds what they want! Who'da thunk?

When I'm home alone, I often put on a show I know--Buffy and Firefly are my top fallbacks---just for the noise. I didn't used to like the sound, but now I enjoy listening to something that doesn't require my full attention while I'm cleaning, etc.

Back
Top Bottom