Take out egg turner?

CuriousQueen

Songster
Jan 14, 2018
Kansas City, Missouri
someone on another group who has an incuview as well, said I only need to turn off the egg turner on day 18.
She said to leave them in the egg turner though.
This seems to me that if one ends up on its back and struggling to right itself, that would make it harder if in an egg turner.
What should I do?
On day 18 I want to candle them again. I had 2 I wasn’t sure if on day 10.
Should I take the egg turner completely out? If so, should I put paper towels on top of the plastic mesh?
2 more quick questions.
If using the mama heating pad brooder after all chicks dry, do I put them straight under it, or under a lamp for a day or two first?
Final, I set my eggs on April 12. Day 18 is May 1st right? I don’t count the day when first put in.

Some people hatch in cut-out egg cartons with the eggs standing up, a lot just lay them down. Both ways work fine. I don't know what your turner looks like but I take mine out for a couple of reasons. Mine has sharp corners where a chick could trap a leg, wing, or head. I like to take those booby traps out. Also, hatching is a messy time. Clean-up is easier if the turner is not in there.

I don't know what that plastic mesh looks like. Is it slick or can the chicks get a grip with their feet? Since it is mesh I'd think it is not slick. You do not want it slick. The other consideration is will it make clean-up easier. I doubt it, you will probably be scrubbing that mesh anyway. I really don't think it will matter if you put paper towels down or not.

I don't use that heating pad like @azygous or @Blooie but I'd put them straight under. The method works. No reason to mess around with anything else.

You do not count the day the eggs went in. If you sett hem on Thursday April 12 (Day one" is lucky Friday the 13th. Day 18 for lockdown is Monday April 30 with hatch date around Thursday May 3rd. Actual hatch could be a day or even more early or late, the 21 day thing is a general guideline not an absolute law of nature.

Thanks for the tag, @Ridgerunner! I agree with you about taking out the turner. Chicks can find enough ways to get themselves into trouble without me leaving the turner in there for them to get hurt on!

@CuriousQueen, I'm not sure what kind of plastic mesh you are talking about either. I usually took the turner out and put that Rubbermaid bumpy shelf liner stuff down for good footing. It comes on a roll and as far as I'm concerned it was far easier to take the soiled liner out and pitch it than mess around.

I took my chicks out of the incubator when they were dry and popped them directly into the brooder. I gave them a minute or two to orient themselves, then gently herded them under. They usually stayed put and napped....and napped....and napped! :lau Then they'd pop back out and explore, drink, and after I saw them drink, then I put the food in there. I figured hydration was more important than dry food that early in the game. (Think dry crackers in your mouth! :idunno) I just scattered a little of it on a paper towel to make it easy for them to find. You can even add a little water to soften the chick food which also adds a little hydration, but make sure they get that water!

Good luck with your hatch!! Keep us posted!

Thank y’all for answering my questions. I’m glad I asked about day 18. Dingy me was counting via weeks. I see what I did wrong on that now.
The plastic mesh is ultra fine. Even the tip of a pipette won’t fit through a hole. But, I’ll try and get the shelf liner.
Thank you for your time.
If I get chicks, I’ll send pics.

Like mentioned above, take them out of the racks, the little guys have enough trouble surviving the hatch without any more pitfalls. For hatching I place the eggs in cartons with the tops cut off, in a wire basket lined with paper towel. The shelf liner is an excellent idea.

Back
Top Bottom