Taking care of older hens... Any tips or suggestions?

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
Im to the point where I notice my first little hen, Stephanie, is getting older. She is 4, maybe 5, which when I was reading around.... isn't as old as a lot of hens on here.

But she is slowing down on her speed and walking funny like she has arthritis. I just want to be prepared on how to take care of her, how to accommodate her, and what to look out for since I have never had an older hen.

She was laying great. A few weeks ago she laid an egg with a lot of blood on it, laid a couple normal ones after that, and since then hasn't laid at all. Just want to be cautious of that and know whether it could be a reproductive issue. I am not familiar with them at all. I cleaned out their coop today and noticed blood smears around the nest, maybe from that one day?

I guess, I don't know what I am even asking! Just want to know what you guys do for your older hens? I want to keep her around as long as she is comfortable though! She's my first and has survived a lot and I care for her deeply! She is still top hen too.

Thanks for any advice or stories or anything in advance!

I would check for egg binding. Feel her tummy area for swelling and if needed check in her vent with your finger. Does she have oyster shell available? I would also think about worming her if you haven't already. I understand at 4-5 egg production usually gets cut in 1/2 (correct me if I'm wrong), but it sounds like she has some other issues going on. She may be walking funny because she's uncomfortable.

A friend of mine has 10 year old hens and she treats them the same just keeps an eye on them to make sure they don't get bullied. My oldest are only 3 so beyond this point I couldn't personally say.

Back
Top Bottom