Taking chicken to school question

roz

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
MA
I am curious to know if my biosecurity concerns are legit or not. My 11 year olds teacher has been dying for me to bring in one of our chicks. I was able to skirt the issue for a while by telling her they had to be under a heat lamp until they were 5 weeks old, but I ran into her yesterday and she mentioned it again. I asked her how I was supposed to get a chicken through the school doors....don't think it's allowed, so she said I didn't even have to bring it in the building. They have a nature area right outside the classroom with bird feeders and plantings. So I'm concerned with biosecurity. If I take a chick (they are 8 weeks old now) to school, and we are outside on the ground where all the birds (and an occasional hawk) congregate, am I opening my flocks to parasites they may not be immune to? Also, while I'd bring a Cochin if anything, they are still fast, and I'm not sure I can have it hanging outside without a pen like I could with a grown Cochin.

i'm no expert on bio security or parasite transfer.... that being said, sounds a bit over the top/paranoid to me.....i would think any parasite hanging out at the school would be hanging out at your house down the road.....

I'd be tempted to toss a chick or two in a box along with their waterer and take them to the outdoor area you mentioned. 11 year olds can be responsible to a fault. I'd just lay down some ground rules (no tight hugging, watch out for other birds, etc).

However, if you don't feel comfortable, just say no. That's fine too!
smile.png

I took 3 of my chicks to my daughter's 2nd grade classroom. The kids loved it and the teacher thought it was amazing (she just moved to the area). Most of the kids in my daughter's class have chickens so they knew how to handle them. The chicks where no worse from wear after the experience. Oh, they where around 2-3 weeks old when we went.

I took my chicks to 2 of my kids' classrooms (2nd and 4th grade), plus a kindergarten class when they were about 2 weeks old. I kept them in their big plastic brooder/bin and let kids come over to me and hold them one or two at a time. I had no thoughts of bio-security then (and I don't think I would now either). My concerns were with the chicks possibly getting loose and getting stepped on. So I had all of the kids sit and promise that they wouldn't get up or chase a chick that got loose. One did get loose, they were pretty good about not freaking out, and I was able to scoop it back up. It was really a good experience and kids still come up to me a year later and ask if we still have our chickens. There are not too many families around here that have them, so it was something new for most.

I'd say do it. If you have portable fencing to make an area outside then do that. I would prefer to be inside, but that's just me. I guarantee there are no rules against bringing chickens to school. If the teacher says it's OK then it is. This is a perfect chance for you to share your love of chickens and how cool it is to raise your own hens with a whole group of eager kids, plus what sounds like a very eager and encouraging teacher!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm such an overprotective chicken mama. I would prefer to be inside because I'm afraid the little guy will get loose and We'll lose him. we actually have 5 cockerels we can't keep and I was going to take one of them, so it's not like we're even keeping him, but I don't want to lose him all the same!

Thats an excellent question. I put together a kind of short report about how we built our incubator, what was involved in the incubating, and included pictures and a video of the chicks hatching. I was going to bring the chicks in to see the class but by 4 wks of age, they were too big already. I wasn't sure what to put them in as they were starting to flap around pretty good.

I forgot to mention, I gave the report to my son and my daughter for their respective classes, grades 2 and 3, the teachers said the class loved it!

Last edited:
My 11 year old son did a report already, even took an egg in on her request. She really wants to see the chicken! Now that I've been knocked to my senses by the first response, I'm happy to take one in, just want to keep it contained. I care about my chickens way too much! I believe I am obsessed! I told my husband a farm is in our future! I want more!

We took 3 of our chicks and several other birds to a local primary (4-11 year olds) school for their fete. They were only handled by people in our group
with visitors stroking them. It worked really well, helps to educate people of all ages and gives them a chance to do something new.
Our birds are fine and there was no parasite transfer.

If need be perhaps put them in a wired cage so people can see them (but bigger birds cannot get them).

Hope it all works out

iFairy x

I brought my chicks to my son's first grade classroom for a day. They were about 3 weeks old. I did a brief presentation, held up a chick for the kids to pet, let them wash their hands, made sure the chickies had plenty of food and water, then put the top on the brooder. I used a piece of hardware cloth that I closely fitted to the edges of the box, bent down a 2inch edge all the way around and covered the sharp ends with duct tape. I then taped the cover to the box before I left. Overkill, but it was clear that unless i was around, the kids could look but not touch. Everything was fine. The teacher and the students absolutely LOVED the experience, and it was quite educational. For a snack for the class I made deviled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom