Taking chicken to school question

My kid's preschool loved having me bring chicks. I went there three times, so they could see the changes in the development as the chicks grew their feathers. Everyone had to be quiet and could come up one at a time and pet with one finger as I held each chik, and I brought a heating disc and plenty of chicks on a warm day so they wouldn't get too cold.
The first trip they were about 2 weeks old. A little young, but I trusted they'd be ok and they were.
I returned when they were about 6 weeks old. They could see the baby coloring and feathers, and see the combs start to grow. I brought maybe 12 of them.
I returned lastly at the end of their school year, and the chicks had grown a lot and looked like real chickens. I only brought a couple of them, because it was totally unnecessary to bring 20 full grown chickens at that point!!

This was at a private school.

Daughter is now in public school (second grade, soon third grade), and I asked if we could do this again for her class when she was in kindergarten. i was sad that the teacher, after checking with the principle and school board, told me health regulations forbid people bringing any animals except service animals, into school or on school property due to allergy concerns. I didn't pursue it any further, but was not impressed. There is so much one can learn from many animals, chickens included. Even after having chickens for 7 years or so, I am still learning amazing things about them!
And they didn't believe me when I told them these were special human-assistance chickens. They are "Danger-Sensing" chickens, so I know when it's time to engage stress-reduction skills.

Have fun taking your chickens in and showing them off! The kids will never forget them or you!

Shanachi - what a shame!! That seems crazy, several of the local schools here have small pets and two of the secondary schools (11-18) have farms!
Some children will of course have allergies, but exposure can sometimes help them overcome them... sending a letter to the parents to warm them of chickens being brought in surely would have been the best option? Poor children are missing out on something so basic but so worthwhile and educational :(

Your story bums me out, Shanachie.

I guess that just reinforces that asking for forgiveness later is usually better than asking for permission ahead of time. My kids are at public school and no one would even think of asking someone higher up if it's OK to bring in something like chicks. It's like a pumped up show and tell, an excellent experience for all involved.

Your story bums me out, Shanachie.

I guess that just reinforces that asking for forgiveness later is usually better than asking for permission ahead of time. My kids are at public school and no one would even think of asking someone higher up if it's OK to bring in something like chicks. It's like a pumped up show and tell, an excellent experience for all involved.
That seems more how it is here, I'm sure risk assessments are done etc, but most schools here are happy to help children engage with animals :) Some schools seem crazy..

Thanks to everyone who posted. I did end up taking 2 8 week old chicks to school today. The kids had a great time and did really well with the chicks. I'm pretty sure my son's public school would not have allowed it had they known. I believe it was kind of a covert mission. I believe my son's teacher will overlook the "rules" if it will benefit the kids, so we decided to have her meet me at a side door to the school instead of check in at the office. I'm glad I took the chicks. It was a great experience for the kids and my son looked very proud.

Good for you!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom