Taking Chicks Outside To Play

marbekschicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
PA
It's about 85* out. I was wondering if I could take my 4 chicks that are 2-1/2-3 weeks old outside to play in the grass. I have always kept them inside in the brooder until 8-9 weeks old. Thought maybe I would do things different this time and allow some play time outside whenever I can.

Are they on Medicated Chick Starter? I would at least recommend that they be on this before playing out on the ground.

Are they on Medicated Chick Starter? I would at least recommend that they be on this before playing out on the ground.

No, they aren't. That's another thing I did differently this time. I have always had them on medicated chick starter. This time I started them out on starter/grower.

I have been taking my chicks out in the grass on nice days, They love it! Mine are not on medicated feed. They are 4 weeks old

I have also been taking my chicks out on nice days to play. It's already been in the 90's some here.They have a ball when they are out playing and are so tired when I put them back after playing. If you don't have a covered area for them to play be sure to keep them close and watch for predators. These little ones can very quickly be picked up by a hawk.

I have also been taking my chicks out on nice days to play. It's already been in the 90's some here.They have a ball when they are out playing and are so tired when I put them back after playing. If you don't have a covered area for them to play be sure to keep them close and watch for predators. These little ones can very quickly be picked up by a hawk.

I would be sitting out with them. I got a 5' cardboard corral in a kit from TS. I haven't been able to find anything to put over the top to keep them safe out there on their own. I also have a Chick-N-Hutch for them, but the run hasn't been built for it yet.

We take our chicks out and let them scratch around in the garden. We have a wire fence around the garden to keep rabbits out. They had a blast in the evening yesterday. They are a week old and on medicated starter.

I hate the thought of going to buy a 50 lb bag of feed for $18.54 that is medicated. I still have a 20 lb unopened bag of the starter/grower that cost me $8.47. I won't have to open it until tonight or Tuesday night. I had a few sample bags that I got in TS kits of the starter/grower that I have been using. I'll probably go buy the medicated though.

I already bought chick grit. Should I just scatter that on the ground for them? Or should I put it in a feeder I have for when they want it? All my other chicks were inside only until 8-9 weeks old. They didn't get to go outside or get treats of any kind until then. Out in the big coop they have grit in a container and scattered in the run a couple times a week.

My daughter had hers all out this past weekend, the ages vary between 1wk and 3wks old but they are all silkies, i don't do medicated feeds here. I didn't put chick grit out either, you could. scatter it on the ground so they can "hunt" for it.

If you have good temps and a safe place IMO it's good to get them out, did the same with my chickens.

I took my girls outside for the first time yesterday evening,
I put them in a wire cage to be safe, cause I bet they are
faster than me..so is my dog...

Back
Top Bottom