Tammy's broody again how do we stop it?

ginger c.

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Alabama
so our chicken Tammy has got that "I want to be a momma" feeling again. How do we convince her otherwise? Is there something we can do to get her over this?

Thanks in advance!
barnie.gif

My chicken is broody at the moment, we have tried alot of things to stop her but nothing works, we just find the best thing is to just leave her and let her get over it herself,
rant.gif

You could try putting her in a wire bottom cage for a few days- get some air up under her and cool her off. Or, dunk her fanny in a bucket of cold water. These are my preferred methods for broody bustin'. They work most of the time. I've had a couple of really determined hens it didn't work on though, so I just ended up giving the butt heads eggs to hatch
he.gif

The wire cage method worked perfectly the 1st time - took 3 days.

Ours has been broody 3x in 3 months though -- and I gave up with the cage after a short while.
I'm at my wits end with her at this point and gave her her very own plastic temporary nestbox in the coop that she is happy to sit in all day and all night.
(I do make her go up on the roost at night by hand).

I hope ours snaps out of it because she isn't making eggs, and we need her to - good luck with yours too.

Back
Top Bottom