Tapeworms, need med without ivermectin

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
We definitely have tapeworms. I will include the picture,but we also had depluming mites. I treated the birds with ivermectin pour on. Both recommended meds for tapeworms have ivermectin in them. Is it safe to orally dose with ivermectin a week after the pour on? I found a dewormer with that contains Pyrantel Pamoate 20 mg and 5mg of Praziquantel. Would that work?
Also, what causes adult tapeworms to die off? Could the ivermectin pour on cause adult worm die off?
IMG_20220829_172834128_HDR.jpg

There have been a number of reports that Ivermectin no longer works on worms of any description. One of the problems is not all worms become resistant to a drug at one time. So what works in one area may not work in another.
Ivermectin should still work on depluming mites, but again, some strains may now be resistant.
I would try a chemical specific to each problem rather than an all in one solution. A fecal float test will tell you if you've successfully dealt with the tapeworm. Depluming mites are more difficult. While one may not see any evidence of mite activity after a particular treatment, some survive and produce live young and the cycle starts over again.
A course of treatment is often required for these types of problems. It can take a few treatments to finally get rid of a parasite.

Last edited:
We definitely have tapeworms. I will include the picture,but we also had depluming mites. I treated the birds with ivermectin pour on. Both recommended meds for tapeworms have ivermectin in them. Is it safe to orally dose with ivermectin a week after the pour on? I found a dewormer with that contains Pyrantel Pamoate 20 mg and 5mg of Praziquantel. Would that work?
Also, what causes adult tapeworms to die off? Could the ivermectin pour on cause adult worm die off?View attachment 3241138
Ivermectin is not considered effective against tapeworms. It may have killed some of them, but you should use something else. Praziquantel kills tapeworms specifically, but does not kill roundworms or other worms, so it is often combined with medications like Ivermectin that don't kill tapeworms. Albendazole (Valbazen) and Fenbendazole both treat roundworms and tapeworms and are generally considered very effective. However, Fenbendazole should not be used when chickens are growing new feathers as it causes deformity in the new feathers. I like Valbazen, but you should not use the same dewormer every time or the parasites become resistant. So pick a few that treat what you have and rotate them. If you already treated for roundworms, you can treat them with just Praziquantel for the tapeworms. Another product that treats roundworm, tapeworm, cecal worm, hook worm, and threadworm is Wormer Deluxe. It comes as a powder that you mix in their water for 2 days and then repeat in 21 days. It is available from pigeon supplies. I haven't used it yet, but I have seen it highly recommended several times.

Regarding depluming mites, I have found several things that are effective, but no matter what you use, you should repeat treatments several times initially, and then periodically. I accidentally found that Revolution (Selamectin) treats depluming mites when my avian vet prescribed it because a few of my hens had stick tight fleas, and after that, one of my poorly looking hens grew new feathers. The dose is 0.5 ml per standard sized chicken and 0.25 ml for smaller pullets and cockerels. Subsequently, I have used lime sulfur dip and sulfur dust. I made up the dip according to package directions and dipped each chicken for several minutes, making sure to wet all feathers. I did it on a warm day and did not dry them. Watch their eyes because it stings. My remaining chickens with damaged feathers started re-growing feathers after this treatment. I used Vet Basics brand but there are many and I believe they are a standard concentration. https://www.chewy.com/vet-basics-lime-sulfur-dip/dp/163591. Since then I use sulfur dust for maintenance on them, on their roosts, poop boards, nest boxes, bedding, and dust bath spots. I use BONIDE Sulfur Plant Fungicide Dust because the powder flows better than regular sulfur powder. It is labeled for this use. Here is what the product info says.
"SAFE FOR ANIMALS - Helps control fleas and ticks on dogs, horses, cattle, swine, sheep, and goats. Can also be used to control depluming mites on chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigeons, and other game birds." https://bonide.com/product/sulfur-plant-fungicide-dust/

Last edited:
There have been a number of reports that Ivermectin no longer works on worms of any description. One of the problems is not all worms become resistant to a drug at one time. So what works in one area may not work in another.
Ivermectin should still work on depluming mites, but again, some strains may now be resistant.
I would try a chemical specific to each problem rather than an all in one solution. A fecal float test will tell you if you've successfully dealt with the tapeworm. Depluming mites are more difficult. While one may not see any evidence of mite activity after a particular treatment, some survive and produce live young and the cycle starts over again.
A course of treatment is often required for these types of problems. It can take a few treatments to finally get rid of a parasite.
I can't find a vet to do a fecal float without needing to see the bird, which is not affordable.
I've done 2 pour on ivermectin treatments along with permethrin dusting and liquid permethrin in the coop as I was not sure what parasite we were dealing with. (Loss of feathers and feather damage).
I have one bird that is now acting like she has been poisoned (loss of balance, walking slow, lethargic) but we also possibly have MG and Mareks in our flock 🤦
This is the second time in 5 months that we have had tape. The first time I had done 4 days of fenbendazole then followed up with valbazen (we also had round worms) and equimax.
I have seen roundworms again (only one) but off and on tapeworm segments so I am assuming it isn't all of the birds but I have no way to pin down which one (there are 20).

I am not sure what I did wrong, but I have had nothing but issues into the 2nd year of owning chickens 😞

Ivermectin is not considered effective against tapeworms. It may have killed some of them, but you should use something else. Praziquantel kills tapeworms specifically, but does not kill roundworms or other worms, so it is often combined with medications like Ivermectin that don't kill tapeworms. Albendazole (Valbazen) and Fenbendazole both treat roundworms and tapeworms and are generally considered very effective. However, Fenbendazole should not be used when chickens are growing new feathers as it causes deformity in the new feathers. I like Valbazen, but you should not use the same dewormer every time or the parasites become resistant. So pick a few that treat what you have and rotate them. If you already treated for roundworms, you can treat them with just Praziquantel for the tapeworms. Another product that treats roundworm, tapeworm, cecal worm, hook worm, and threadworm is Wormer Deluxe. It comes as a powder that you mix in their water for 2 days and then repeat in 21 days. It is available from pigeon supplies. I haven't used it yet, but I have seen it highly recommended several times.

Regarding depluming mites, I have found several things that are effective, but no matter what you use, you should repeat treatments several times initially, and then periodically. I accidentally found that Revolution (Selamectin) treats depluming mites when my avian vet prescribed it because a few of my hens had stick tight fleas, and after that, one of my poorly looking hens grew new feathers. The dose is 0.5 ml per standard sized chicken and 0.25 ml for smaller pullets and cockerels. Subsequently, I have used lime sulfur dip and sulfur dust. I made up the dip according to package directions and dipped each chicken for several minutes, making sure to wet all feathers. I did it on a warm day and did not dry them. Watch their eyes because it stings. My remaining chickens with damaged feathers started re-growing feathers after this treatment. I used Vet Basics brand but there are many and I believe they are a standard concentration. https://www.chewy.com/vet-basics-lime-sulfur-dip/dp/163591. Since then I use sulfur dust for maintenance on them, on their roosts, poop boards, nest boxes, bedding, and dust bath spots. I use BONIDE Sulfur Plant Fungicide Dust because the powder flows better than regular sulfur powder. It is labeled for this use. Here is what the product info says.
"SAFE FOR ANIMALS - Helps control fleas and ticks on dogs, horses, cattle, swine, sheep, and goats. Can also be used to control depluming mites on chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigeons, and other game birds." https://bonide.com/product/sulfur-plant-fungicide-dust/
Thanks! We got the mites taken care of. I only have chickens that are molting losing feathers now.
I currently can't find equimax available anywhere but amazon and have used that for tape, but the valbazen seems to have worked as I am not seeing anymore segments. I am treating them again on day 14 and plan tp just start treating them every 3 months. We have had both round and tape but most recently only tape that I am seeing. I am trying to be more aggressive about picking up all droppings as I am in FL and getting rid of all the tapeworm vectors would be essentially impossible.

Thanks! We got the mites taken care of. I only have chickens that are molting losing feathers now.
I currently can't find equimax available anywhere but amazon and have used that for tape, but the valbazen seems to have worked as I am not seeing anymore segments. I am treating them again on day 14 and plan tp just start treating them every 3 months. We have had both round and tape but most recently only tape that I am seeing. I am trying to be more aggressive about picking up all droppings as I am in FL and getting rid of all the tapeworm vectors would be essentially impossible.
That's great the mites are gone! You probably know this, but you can use Zimecterin Gold horse paste instead of Equimax. You can also use Praziquantel alone for only tapeworms if you want to avoid treating with Ivermectin at the same time or want to rotate medications. You can buy it for fish, which is probably the most economical.

I have Fenbendazole on hand. Is Valbazen the brand you use? What dosage do you use? I have 2 hens ending their molt (pin feathers have emerged and plumes beginning on head and bottom of other) one's comb and waddle have shrunken down to about a nub so I'm thinking treatment is priority?

Back
Top Bottom