Taste difference of hen vs roo?

When pressure cooked both (Roo/Hen—Old/Young) taste great; add some potatoes (sweet potatoes), carrots, string beans, peas, a sprig or two of Rosemary and thyme. The age doesn't matter they all come out so tender and tasty. It is the easiest way to cook any meal and takes 1/3 the energy--making it the 'green' thing to do.

Gamey, strong, tender, more flavor, bland; It is all very individual and depends some on cooking methods. I don't know how many you have, but I'd suggest starting one a week at age 16 weeks, alternating cockerells and pullets, and make your own determination. Keep notes to refer to if your memory is anything like mine. Keep track of breeds too. I noticed a difference in mine. Feel free to alter my suggestion in any way that better fits your situation or ignore it completely if you wish. Won't hurt my feelings. Much.
hit.gif

We raised 20+ birds last year, Golden Brahma cock crossed with generic farmyard layers. The large size of the Brahmas comes through in the cocks and they've made excellent quality crosses for table birds.

4162113695_6d877ff687.jpg

There is a marked difference in the males when they reach sexual maturity (apart from the surprising size of their testes!) as they do get a bit more stringy and a little tougher. The flavour is more pronounced and they certainly stand up to more robust cooking. You can't really make a Coq-au-vin with an immature bird - you need a bird with the extra maturity.

The difference with hens is less pronounced I'd say but we've only eaten a couple of those, preferring to keep them for replacement layers.

Back
Top Bottom