Taste of Duck Eggs

I wondered how many of you out there actually eat your duck eggs, or if you prefer the taste of the chicken eggs?  I am mildly allergic (gives me the itchies) to chicken eggs, so I can eat them, but not much and not often. 

I am sick of doing egg replacers and heard that duck eggs bake up nicely, but what about a fried or scrambled egg?  Do they taste good deviled?  I hear that duck eggs can be rubbery, is that true?  Because of a higher protein content?

Out of all the duck breeds, I like the "pretty ones" like blue swedish, but a breeder told me that Pekin ducks were best for production and flavor.  I thought I'd ask you all--which breed's eggs taste best cooked on their own?

Good Afternoon we have both Peking, Blue and Black Swedish ducks. We do eat the eggs. We love to bake with them...in the recipe use 1 duck for every 2 chicken. Duck eggs have a higher vitamin D then chicken. Yolks are richer than chicken, so I recommend eating them scrambled the 1st time. Also use water instead of milk. pm me for more info...
1f606.png

Smell, taste, and texture. Most notable was the smell, then the texture. Taste was just slightly off, but they may have been a mental thing because of the smell.

It has been raining a LOT. So much so that I haven't gotten an egg in the past 2 days (rare), probably from lack of sunlight. Maybe the rain has done something. More mud and sludge intake? Could it be a drinking water thing? Before, when it was only 3 of them drinking from a bucket, I could refill it once or twice without having to empty and rinse completely (unless one jumped inside to bathe.) Now, with 7 of them drinking from two buckets the water seems to get nasty much quicker, and I try to prolong it two 2 refills before dumping it out (hate to waste water, running out of different places in the yard to dump it). I changed their food over a month ago from Dumor to the Layena pellets because I thought it would be better for them, but I would think a taste change would come sooner. They were almost done with the 50 lb bag before these weird tasters came out.

I used to work at an egg distribution plant about 5 years ago. I can tell you from that particular plant eggs were only about 3-5 days old at the oldest before they shipped out. The one funny thing though is the same chicken that lays the eggs for the Walmart brand sunny meadows lays the eggs for egg-lands best. Sunny meadow claims a 30 day shelf life but egg-lands best claims 45. But the same chicken laid both eggs
1f648.png
1f649.png
1f64a.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f423.png

I haven't bought hen eggs since my girls have been laying. I love the Pekin eggs. I can only eat one because they are so big. My Husband eats at least three at a time but he boils them, I fry mine.

i have KC ducks, feed DUMOR also. only other is cracked corn. they have a strong flavor i do not like. i really think no one would like them. the eggs smell unpleasant also. they have no access to anything fishy. everyone posts they love their duck eggs and many say they taste close to chicken eggs. what's wrong with mine? would appreciate any replies

i have KC ducks, feed DUMOR also. only other is cracked corn. they have a strong flavor i do not like. i really think no one would like them. the eggs smell unpleasant also. they have no access to anything fishy. everyone posts they love their duck eggs and many say they taste close to chicken eggs. what's wrong with mine? would appreciate any replies
Do they free range ? I have heard (no personal experience) if they eat wild onion or garlic it can flavor the eggs giving them an off taste.

I feed my chickens and ducks Kalmbach feed with no animal by product. I can tell you that their poop and pen do not smell even when it rains. I have read many posts from people who say Dumor feed makes them smell horrible. I wont get my first eggs until July so I don't know about the smell of eggs yet. I am a little concerned about the duck eggs as I have two ponds and intend to let my ducks spend some time in them. Hope that doesn't give me stinky eggs. I figured if we don't like the duck eggs we will feed them to the dogs and save some on feed. We take chicken eggs shell and all and blend them, then scramble them for the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom