Taste of Duck Eggs

hehahn

Chirping
13 Years
May 21, 2010
South Texas
I wondered how many of you out there actually eat your duck eggs, or if you prefer the taste of the chicken eggs? I am mildly allergic (gives me the itchies) to chicken eggs, so I can eat them, but not much and not often.

I am sick of doing egg replacers and heard that duck eggs bake up nicely, but what about a fried or scrambled egg? Do they taste good deviled? I hear that duck eggs can be rubbery, is that true? Because of a higher protein content?

Out of all the duck breeds, I like the "pretty ones" like blue swedish, but a breeder told me that Pekin ducks were best for production and flavor. I thought I'd ask you all--which breed's eggs taste best cooked on their own?

Hi I'm Spifflove. I am a dog of descerning taste. My master tried to feed me store-bought chicken eggs, then backyard eggs, all to no avail. I will only ever touch Pekin eggs. The hen eggs he tries to feed me go back to the hens. Regards.

Last edited:
Duck eggs can last six weeks in the fridge. They have longer storage life than chicken eggs due to the thicker shell. We wash ours well then dry and apply a light wiping of cooking oil before refrigeration. The oil keeps fridge odors from getting through the shell once you've washed away the natural coating.

I prefer duck eggs. I find them to be more rich and have more flavour than chicken eggs.
They are also better for baking, the larger richer yolks make for a more moist cake.
Duck eggs are also more healthy for you, containing more nutrients and slightly more protein than chicken eggs. More importantly they are one of the few foods that leave our body in an alkaline state - cancer cells need an acidic environment to grow

Hi I'm Spifflove. I am a dog of descerning taste. My master tried to feed me store-bought chicken eggs, then backyard eggs, all to no avail. I will only ever touch Pekin eggs. The hen eggs he tries to feed me go back to the hens. Regards.

lau.gif
It's good to know he has some standards! Lol!

I have a Black Swedish and Mallard who are laying. My Black Swedish is on again/off again. But my Mallard, Bella, starting laying about five months ago and I think she has only missed laying one day since she started. Her eggs are large, perfect, and clean! She lays her eggs in the same place every day - one of the chicken's nest boxes!
smile.png
It is actually a large red plastic tub-trug filled with hay. I am not sure how she manages to get in and out, but she does and I know exactly where to find her egg every morning. Bella lays better than any of my chickens!

I have some dietary issues with getting enough good fats and B vitamins in my diet, and I had read that duck eggs have more of the good long-chain omega-3 fatty acids that you need. These good fats are responsible for the feeling of being "fuller" when you eat them.

My ducks are just babies, so I have a ways to go until they lay, and I'm looking forward to it. Right now they're just little cuties!

Duck eggs contain twice as much potassium and Vitamin A, three times as much iron, and five times as much Vitamin B12.
They also are higher in these nutrients: protein, calcium, magnesium, phosporus, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, thiamin, niacin, Vitamin B6, folate, and retinol. They contain twice the amount of monounsaturated fatty acids which lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) while increasing HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) .
Their cholesterol content is higher; approximately twice that of chicken eggs.
They have more albumin (protein) which gives them more structure - more fluffiness in baking.
Free range eggs have significantly higher vitamins and Omega 3 fatty acids while less fat and cholesterol.
Many people who are allergic to chicken eggs are able to eat duck eggs without allergic reactions due to different proteins.
That being said, there are a few who can be allergic to the proteins in duck eggs but not chicken eggs.
Because of their higher protein and cholesterol content, their taste is richer - gamey if their diet is higher in proteins from worms, bugs or fish. Due to the higher albumin content, overcooking them can make them VERY firm, almost rubbery, especially in fried or hard boiled eggs. However, after eating my ducks eggs, chicken eggs taste anemic. The taste is well worth the extra care making egg sandwiches. www.lsshaftsfarm.com
Sources: local harvest.org; buzzle.com; itdfarm.com; 101sweetpastry.com; Wikipedia.org; newagrarian.com

Didn't want to start a new thread. I have a Black Swedish that's been laying eggs since the beginning of October. She's laid healthy eggs that really don't taste much different from chicken eggs. We've finally removed the divider between our 4 four month-old new girls (2 Cayuga, 2 WH) to the original BS lady and 2 drakes that are about 5 months older and everyone seems to get along fine. To my knowledge, the young four haven't started laying yet, but I could be wrong. We pulled two eggs out of the house yesterday, and that has happened about once a week since she started laying.

This morning my fiancée made some scrambled eggs that are normally just like chicken eggs. Not so much today. None of them are over a week old. They have a strong smell and a soft texture. We've been leaving them out next to the sink to wipe off lately, so they haven't been getting into the fridge as quickly as normal (day or so later). Could these be new eggs from other ducks? A cooking issue? We don't put milk in them because they become gritty. It's been raining a ton here lately. The only thing I could think of was too much or not enough of something, unless the new ones have started to lay. The eggs are the same size and color as the others from her. I think the strong smell is what's really throwing us off. Thanks for any help!

The smell you mentioned makes me wonder if your BS is eating something new, too - does she have access to range outside? Is the flavor different, too, or just the smell and texture?

Just an update for anyone who runs into this issue, I switched them back to DuMor layer feed and the eggs taste and smell normal again. It must have been the Omega-3 in the Layena that gave it the fishy taste/smell.

Back
Top Bottom