Taste of Duck Eggs

Yay! I'm so glad for all the feedback. I'm glad to hear that they taste good, because I was really looking forward to eating them. Thanks, guys. :)

My duck just started laying about a month ago and that was my first duck egg experience. They are for sure different- thicker is how I would describe it. But they taste great. Just fine scrambled and such. Haven't deviled them yet.
I have 1 pekin and 1 BA chicken. My Pekin outdoes the chicken on egg production by lots. (of course they're both young, so this may change.)

Last edited:
My WH girl has been laying for a few weeks now. We have two in an incubator and I use the rest for baking. I am going to have to try and eat some scrambled though. They sound great.

I have a Black Swedish and Mallard who are laying. My Black Swedish is on again/off again. But my Mallard, Bella, starting laying about five months ago and I think she has only missed laying one day since she started. Her eggs are large, perfect, and clean! She lays her eggs in the same place every day - one of the chicken's nest boxes!
smile.png
It is actually a large red plastic tub-trug filled with hay. I am not sure how she manages to get in and out, but she does and I know exactly where to find her egg every morning. Bella lays better than any of my chickens!

We eat our Muscovy eggs and like them very much, scrambled, fried, hard boiled, in baked goods... Our GoldenDoodle and ferrets like them, too. *chuckle*

One of our Anconas just started laying and I'm sad to report we haven't tried her eggs yet.
droolin.gif
I have been curious to see how different they may/may not be.

Good luck!

I have some dietary issues with getting enough good fats and B vitamins in my diet, and I had read that duck eggs have more of the good long-chain omega-3 fatty acids that you need. These good fats are responsible for the feeling of being "fuller" when you eat them.

My ducks are just babies, so I have a ways to go until they lay, and I'm looking forward to it. Right now they're just little cuties!

Any idea how long a duck egg keeps for? In the refrigerator? Out of the refrigerator. My 4 girls are only about 4 weeks old, but I'm trying wrap my head around what to expect once they start laying--this thread has been great!

Love duck eggs here-- at any of the parties I bring baked goods to, well you wont hear complaints! Hard & soft boiled, yum. Fried: Not at all popular. I collect daily and my eggs go straight to the fridge. They won't last a month, but that is as long as I'd keep them. Other people do things differently, so taking polls and then deciding what is best for you is a great way to go. But personally I say 30 days, and I believe that when you purchase chicken eggs at the grocery, the date stamped on the carton is 30 days out from date of collection/packaging. Altho... I know that I've cracked open grocery eggs and they just look old.

Duck eggs can last six weeks in the fridge. They have longer storage life than chicken eggs due to the thicker shell. We wash ours well then dry and apply a light wiping of cooking oil before refrigeration. The oil keeps fridge odors from getting through the shell once you've washed away the natural coating.

Back
Top Bottom