Tax on Chicken Feed

GibsonFamilyFarm

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2018
SFV
Hello everyone!
About two months ago I switched my main flock to Scratch and Peck.
I noticed after I purchased this last time that they charge tax on feed.
I have been buying Nutrena All flock for my other birds at another feed store (different county) and they do not charge tax.

What I’ve read online seems that they shouldn’t charge tax but it I’ve read that they can?
Is it up to the store/chain? Is it the type of feed that I’m buying?

Hoping someone has some experience. I bought 3 bags and the tax was almost $11! That adds up! Thanks in advance.

I haven’t called either store to ask yet. Trying to gather info first.

Thanks for the replies.

The two specific counties I’m talking about is Ventura County (charges) and LA County (doesn’t charge).

I have bought Nutrena in Ventura County and haven’t been charged tax.
I thought maybe due to the ingredients they are taxing.

I buy feed in Riverside county, Ca and get charged sales tax for chicken feed and treats as well. I buy scratch and peck feed as well, i usually get charged $2 in tax per bag.
I thought the tax seemed high. That’s all I bought, just the feed.
The store I buy Nutrena at sells S&P too but it’s $12 more a bag 😳

Thanks for the replies.

The two specific counties I’m talking about is Ventura County (charges) and LA County (doesn’t charge).

I have bought Nutrena in Ventura County and haven’t been charged tax.
I thought maybe due to the ingredients they are taxing.
A quick search shows that chicken feed would be exempt at state level, but did not rule out county level. I would call the tax/revenue office of each county for more info.

Small Update:

I called the location that is charging tax. I did the math and it is the current county tax.
They don’t have an answer for me at this time and will contact me later with information.

I went and looked up my old receipts from Tractor Supply in the same county and they never charged tax on feed.
I also looked at receipts from two locations of this chain I have shopped at and both do charge tax.

When I get my info, I will update. I will also try to get in contact with a county tax office but unfortunately the wait time may be long especially during this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom