TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
So, I've noticed everyone else has their own little poultry diaries, and I thought, why not create one for us? I mean, if only to document the saga of our feathered escapades. We're like the newcomers in the chickenhood, starting from scratch with our flock.

Now, picture this: I had my fair share of chicken, rabbit, and goat adventures as a kiddo. My other half? Well, let's just say he didn't quite have that upbringing. My childhood role was more of the egg-gathering, feed-tossing virtuoso. I didn't really dive into the intricate world of care. But guess what? Here we are, venturing into uncharted chicken territory.

We actually started our current flock back in March, but are starting over with an almost clean slate.

Now, let's get to the "egg-citing" question: why the restart? Brace yourselves for a tale that's poultry in motion. We waltzed into a local feed store down in Milton, Florida (they've even got a doppelganger in Pace, Fl) and walked out with 10 supposedly female black Australorp chicks. The seller confidently claimed these pullets hailed from Ideal Poultry, a hatchery with a reputation as solid as a freshly laid egg. They even threw in a contact number. But here's where the plot gets scrambled – those 10 pullets? Well, 8 of them grew up to be, you guessed it, roosters!

In a nutshell, I made the call, shared the clucking truth about their gender-blunder, and guess what the feed store folks squawked? They didn't get the chicks from Ideal after all; they'd shaken wings with some other hatchery. Oh, and they dangled a $25 feed bag as a consolation prize.

That's not the end of our not-so-grand "re-chickening" saga! So, in the aftermath of our rooster revelation, the manager at the feed store decided to toss us a bone – or in this case, eight chirping little chicks to replace our unexpected crowing choir.
When the time came to collect our clucking compensation, what do you know? Mr. Manager was apparently juggling more feathers than he could handle, too busy to even waddle over to the phone. And to add a sprinkle of "you've got to be kidding me" to the mix, the person who did grace us with their presence on the line chirped something about the feed being the extent of their generosity. Yep, you guessed it – they pulled a classic "renig" maneuver.

Additionally, we bought an Amerecauna Straight Run duo, and ended up with one boy from that couplet.

It was a day of feathers and feels, let me tell you. We'd given them names, got to know their quirks, and then reality struck. Eight crowing compatriots were a bit much for our yard. So, we decided to send them off to a new home a few farms down the road. Now, they're rubbing tail feathers with 80 lovely ladies. Our initiation into "chickening" wasn't just a walk in the park – more like a wild goose chase! Now, we are down to just 3 hens and a huge, empty coop.

So, here we are, feeling like extras in a chicken-themed sitcom, dealing with more drama than a daytime soap opera. Can you believe the audacity of it all? It's like they've hatched a plan to keep us clucking in disbelief. But hey, as they say, every cloud has a silver lining, even if it's covered in a few feathers.

Back in February, we ordered a dozen Cream Legbar pals – one dude and eleven lovely ladies. A road trip to Mississippi later in early July, we've got these darlings from Omega Farms strutting their stuff. They are now about 8 weeks old. These babies made their foray into the mini-run in the larger run today. Hoping they will integrate well with the three 5 month old pullets.

And to fill the Australorp-shaped void, we've got a squad of 18 newly-hatched pullets from Cackle, the chick whisperers. We are hoping for better dynamics this time, but are better prepared to deal with it if not.

Oh, the timing! Leave it to us to jump into the poultry party right smack in the middle of one of those heat waves that make you wish you molted. I'm talking about some seriously sizzling days here. So, our egg production will be much lower than expected this year - but live and learn.

Fast-forward to today, and here we are – navigating the chicken life, hoping to gain a touch more wisdom and a lot more laughs. So, if you're up for a mix of clucks and chuckles, stick around! Our poultry escapades are sure to keep you entertained, enlightened, and maybe even egg-cited. Stay tuned for the next feathered chapter! 🐔📖

1691191337768.png
Some of our cream leg bars the day we brought them home - now almost 8 weeks old.

PXL_20230802_120407944~2.jpg
One of our Australorp chicks redux - hoping for better luck.

PXL_20230803_151210754.jpg
Prince - one of the best roos I've ever met. We miss him.

Last edited:
In the midst of Florida's ongoing heat wave, we managed to make progress in our backyard chicken setup. We took care of the main chicken enclosure and also completed work on a smaller enclosure for the young chicks. Unfortunately, we had to find new homes for the male chickens, which seemed to have left our three remaining young hens in a state of melancholy. Rather than joining the outdoor area, they've taken to staying inside the coop, prompting me to bring them cold water to beat the heat. 💦🐓

Today marked a change, as we moved twelve chicks aged 7 to 8 weeks into the smaller enclosure. This was the first instance since the males departed that I heard one of the hens make a fuss. To help with the temperature, I had opened the top hatches of the egg boxes, enhancing the air circulation. Our Ameracauna hen, lovingly named Sweetie, caught wind of the new chicks and made a spirited attempt to fly out of the egg box, driven by her eagerness to reach the youngsters. She clearly had a VIP ticket to the baby chick show. Responding to her urgency, I opened the lower egg boxes to let all THREE out. Apparently, they forgot about the pop door?

In a move that could only be described as "Operation: Let's Have a Chat," our three resident divas strutted over to the baby containment zone and struck up a conversation. Clucking, chirping, and all kinds of feathered gossip – it was like a chicken edition of reality TV. Sweetie? Oh, she's been camping out by the mini-run, fully committed to her chick-watching duties.

Now, I don't have a chicken crystal ball, but I can't help but wonder if Sweetie's newfound obsession with the kiddos is a sneak peek into her future maternal ambitions. Is she rehearsing for motherhood? Or just trying to nab the "Best Chicken Aunt" award? 🏆🐣

PXL_20230805_180955057.jpg
PXL_20230805_180605092.jpg

In the grand scheme of things, I'm putting all my eggs in one basket (pun intended) and hoping that the arrival of these fluffy new recruits will snap our coop queens out of their funk. Who knew a bunch of chirping youngsters could be the ultimate therapy for sad young hens? Stay tuned for more chicken sitcom shenanigans! 📺🍿🐤

PXL_20230805_180509147.jpg
Our mini-run inside the run to help introduce the pullets and the babies.

PXL_20230805_180556648.jpg The three girls checking out the new babies. One of the babies already discovered the highest roosting bars! We have them lower too, but she wants to fly.

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_180538593.jpg
    PXL_20230805_180538593.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 5
Life at Taylor Glade has been quite the chicken rollercoaster. Once we waved goodbye to the roosters and shipped them off to their new digs, we went shopping for some fresh fluffy recruits from Cackle. These newbies are now a whopping two weeks old as of yesterday.

David's got this wacky theory that our baby Australorps are channeling their inner Skexis from Dark Crystal. I guess I see a smidgen of resemblance, but you be the judge.
PXL_20230822_191412552.jpg
"Fluff Squad Formation: The Octo-Chicks Nail the Brooder Balance Act!" 🐥🕺🏼🤩

Oh, the trials of chicken nostalgia – I'm still low-key bummed about Prince, our rooster. Honestly, I'd adopt an animal kingdom if I could. Since the roosters' exit, our trio of pullets went into full-on mourning mode. Coop confinement and dining strikes became their new hobbies.

But here's the twist: the second we introduced the 8-week-old cream leg bars to the baby pen (Peep Show Palace), it was like a whole new world. The pullets turned into party animals, eagerly waiting by the gate for their chick pals. There's been a bit of a pecking order renaissance. Sweetie, our MVP, stepped up as the "rooster hen" after her pal, Other Roo, hit the road.

Our remaining posse of the original flock includes 2 Australorp pullets (Munchkin and Bonsai) and 1 Lavendar Ameracauna pullet (Sweetie). Though I'm seriously considering renaming Sweetie after this week's drama. We've been hosting "supervised visits" for the chicks. Sweetie's not having any of Bubo (the Cream Legbar Cockerel). She's cool with the girls, but Bubo's a no-go. She's not afraid to put him in his place – a little peck on the head, a grounding with her feet, and he's learned to tiptoe around her. Wonder how long that power dynamic will hold – my money's on a twist sooner or later. Let's see if Sweetie warms up to him.

Once the harmony's set, the plan is to shuffle the Cream Legbars into the main coop and give the young Australorps the attached Peep Show Palace. Fingers crossed, no one turns out to be a rooster – I'm officially sticking to auto-sexing breeds from here on out. Call it me being overly cautious, but I'd rather not play the guessing game again.

We're gearing up to break ground on our second coop – a 10x18 shed that's getting a coop makeover – around early September. Unlike last time, we're not playing handy(wo)man due to the blistering heat. It'll be a twofer: one side cozy coop, the other storage. The fresh Australorps are moving in here. Once it's up, they'll swap the baby pen for their new pad. The two coops will share a spacious run, plus a nifty door for some roommate privacy. And that Peep Show arena? It's getting a promotion to broody hen central.

Oh boy, get ready for a hot mess of a week ahead – and I'm not just talking about the weather report. We're facing a solid week of 103-degree temps. Plus, our air conditioner decided to clock out, so our house has officially become a sauna. It's been a few days of this, but let's hope today's the day for the AC miracle.

To keep our cluckers chill, I've introduced a black soldier fly larvae popsicle party and ice-cold water. And we've got a superstar fan blowing cool air into their covered run. It's like a mini oasis until noon, when the sun steps in. Can't let them roam free thanks to some no-chicken-allowed neighbors and a hawk parade above. They're limited to their spacious coop and run setup. I've got a stash of frozen jugs ready for action to help bring down the temps. And a little frosty treat action for their feed too – gotta keep it cool for the kiddos.

Who'd have thought that we'd embark on a chicken escapade during the hottest summer ever? 🐓🔥

Life at Taylor Glade has been quite the chicken rollercoaster. Once we waved goodbye to the roosters and shipped them off to their new digs, we went shopping for some fresh fluffy recruits from Cackle. These newbies are now a whopping two weeks old as of yesterday.

David's got this wacky theory that our baby Australorps are channeling their inner Skexis from Dark Crystal. I guess I see a smidgen of resemblance, but you be the judge.
View attachment 3616756
"Fluff Squad Formation: The Octo-Chicks Nail the Brooder Balance Act!" 🐥🕺🏼🤩

Oh, the trials of chicken nostalgia – I'm still low-key bummed about Prince, our rooster. Honestly, I'd adopt an animal kingdom if I could. Since the roosters' exit, our trio of pullets went into full-on mourning mode. Coop confinement and dining strikes became their new hobbies.

But here's the twist: the second we introduced the 8-week-old cream leg bars to the baby pen (Peep Show Palace), it was like a whole new world. The pullets turned into party animals, eagerly waiting by the gate for their chick pals. There's been a bit of a pecking order renaissance. Sweetie, our MVP, stepped up as the "rooster hen" after her pal, Other Roo, hit the road.

Our remaining posse of the original flock includes 2 Australorp pullets (Munchkin and Bonsai) and 1 Lavendar Ameracauna pullet (Sweetie). Though I'm seriously considering renaming Sweetie after this week's drama. We've been hosting "supervised visits" for the chicks. Sweetie's not having any of Bubo (the Cream Legbar Cockerel). She's cool with the girls, but Bubo's a no-go. She's not afraid to put him in his place – a little peck on the head, a grounding with her feet, and he's learned to tiptoe around her. Wonder how long that power dynamic will hold – my money's on a twist sooner or later. Let's see if Sweetie warms up to him.

Once the harmony's set, the plan is to shuffle the Cream Legbars into the main coop and give the young Australorps the attached Peep Show Palace. Fingers crossed, no one turns out to be a rooster – I'm officially sticking to auto-sexing breeds from here on out. Call it me being overly cautious, but I'd rather not play the guessing game again.

We're gearing up to break ground on our second coop – a 10x18 shed that's getting a coop makeover – around early September. Unlike last time, we're not playing handy(wo)man due to the blistering heat. It'll be a twofer: one side cozy coop, the other storage. The fresh Australorps are moving in here. Once it's up, they'll swap the baby pen for their new pad. The two coops will share a spacious run, plus a nifty door for some roommate privacy. And that Peep Show arena? It's getting a promotion to broody hen central.

Oh boy, get ready for a hot mess of a week ahead – and I'm not just talking about the weather report. We're facing a solid week of 103-degree temps. Plus, our air conditioner decided to clock out, so our house has officially become a sauna. It's been a few days of this, but let's hope today's the day for the AC miracle.

To keep our cluckers chill, I've introduced a black soldier fly larvae popsicle party and ice-cold water. And we've got a superstar fan blowing cool air into their covered run. It's like a mini oasis until noon, when the sun steps in. Can't let them roam free thanks to some no-chicken-allowed neighbors and a hawk parade above. They're limited to their spacious coop and run setup. I've got a stash of frozen jugs ready for action to help bring down the temps. And a little frosty treat action for their feed too – gotta keep it cool for the kiddos.

Who'd have thought that we'd embark on a chicken escapade during the hottest summer ever? 🐓🔥
What a bunch of cutie pies in your photo! ❤

So, I've noticed everyone else has their own little poultry diaries, and I thought, why not create one for us? I mean, if only to document the saga of our feathered escapades. We're like the newcomers in the chickenhood, starting from scratch with our flock.

Now, picture this: I had my fair share of chicken, rabbit, and goat adventures as a kiddo. My other half? Well, let's just say he didn't quite have that upbringing. My childhood role was more of the egg-gathering, feed-tossing virtuoso. I didn't really dive into the intricate world of care. But guess what? Here we are, venturing into uncharted chicken territory.

We actually started our current flock back in March, but are starting over with an almost clean slate.

Now, let's get to the "egg-citing" question: why the restart? Brace yourselves for a tale that's poultry in motion. We waltzed into a local feed store down in Milton, Florida (they've even got a doppelganger in Pace, Fl) and walked out with 10 supposedly female black Australorp chicks. The seller confidently claimed these pullets hailed from Ideal Poultry, a hatchery with a reputation as solid as a freshly laid egg. They even threw in a contact number. But here's where the plot gets scrambled – those 10 pullets? Well, 8 of them grew up to be, you guessed it, roosters!

In a nutshell, I made the call, shared the clucking truth about their gender-blunder, and guess what the feed store folks squawked? They didn't get the chicks from Ideal after all; they'd shaken wings with some other hatchery. Oh, and they dangled a $25 feed bag as a consolation prize.

That's not the end of our not-so-grand "re-chickening" saga! So, in the aftermath of our rooster revelation, the manager at the feed store decided to toss us a bone – or in this case, eight chirping little chicks to replace our unexpected crowing choir.
When the time came to collect our clucking compensation, what do you know? Mr. Manager was apparently juggling more feathers than he could handle, too busy to even waddle over to the phone. And to add a sprinkle of "you've got to be kidding me" to the mix, the person who did grace us with their presence on the line chirped something about the feed being the extent of their generosity. Yep, you guessed it – they pulled a classic "renig" maneuver.

Additionally, we bought an Amerecauna Straight Run duo, and ended up with one boy from that couplet.

It was a day of feathers and feels, let me tell you. We'd given them names, got to know their quirks, and then reality struck. Eight crowing compatriots were a bit much for our yard. So, we decided to send them off to a new home a few farms down the road. Now, they're rubbing tail feathers with 80 lovely ladies. Our initiation into "chickening" wasn't just a walk in the park – more like a wild goose chase! Now, we are down to just 3 hens and a huge, empty coop.

So, here we are, feeling like extras in a chicken-themed sitcom, dealing with more drama than a daytime soap opera. Can you believe the audacity of it all? It's like they've hatched a plan to keep us clucking in disbelief. But hey, as they say, every cloud has a silver lining, even if it's covered in a few feathers.

Back in February, we ordered a dozen Cream Legbar pals – one dude and eleven lovely ladies. A road trip to Mississippi later in early July, we've got these darlings from Omega Farms strutting their stuff. They are now about 8 weeks old. These babies made their foray into the mini-run in the larger run today. Hoping they will integrate well with the three 5 month old pullets.

And to fill the Australorp-shaped void, we've got a squad of 18 newly-hatched pullets from Cackle, the chick whisperers. We are hoping for better dynamics this time, but are better prepared to deal with it if not.

Oh, the timing! Leave it to us to jump into the poultry party right smack in the middle of one of those heat waves that make you wish you molted. I'm talking about some seriously sizzling days here. So, our egg production will be much lower than expected this year - but live and learn.

Fast-forward to today, and here we are – navigating the chicken life, hoping to gain a touch more wisdom and a lot more laughs. So, if you're up for a mix of clucks and chuckles, stick around! Our poultry escapades are sure to keep you entertained, enlightened, and maybe even egg-cited. Stay tuned for the next feathered chapter! 🐔📖

View attachment 3599732
Some of our cream leg bars the day we brought them home - now almost 8 weeks old.

View attachment 3599728
One of our Australorp chicks redux - hoping for better luck.

View attachment 3599730
Prince - one of the best roos I've ever met. We miss him.
Your introduction was so interesting (and funny 😄)!

Back
Top Bottom