Teacher Seeking Chicken Help! (What to do with chicks after?)

Hey, that's how I got mine! My son's Kindergarten class hatched 16 chicks this past May, and "VOILA!", 8 months later I'm an OBSESSED BYC member:lol: Try the parents, you might turn some of them on to join our club!

Granolamom wrote: Hey, that's how I got mine! My son's Kindergarten class hatched 16 chicks this past May, and "VOILA!", 8 months later I'm an OBSESSED BYC member:lol: Try the parents, you might turn some of them on to join our club!

I'm sure that sooner or later, the same thing will happen to me! I'll be keen to send out some notes, I'm sure some kind-hearted parent would love to take one or two.​

ok thank you good luck with that incubator i will be getting a full size incubator on friday so if that does not work out i could possibly incubate 3 eggs for you till the hatch day and give them to you so your students can watch them hatch, just let me know how it goes thanks

There is a Yahoo group call SVChickens (Silicon Vallley chickens). You can join for free and get lots of local help. Lots of 4-H-ers belong too! I am sure that you will have NO trouble finding good homes for your chickens.

I would try BYC or SVChickens before I went on Craigslist. You want to make sure that you find someone who is looking for chickens for "color" and eggs. Not for feeding their snake or pit bull.

Good Luck!!!

Cindy

Awwwww, I have a 6 year old and would LOVE it if she was ever able to have a egg project & bring a chicky home!
tongue.png

All the teachers I have ever helped out with hatching eggs send a note home with the kids asking if after the project is over are they allowed to bring home the chick. If not they go back to the person that supplied the eggs or a person who has a flock.

I'm going to be offering my incubator to my son's classroom just so I can get someone else to do the first couple of weeks of brooding. And boy will those chicks get socialized!!! Bwa ha ha ha....using innocent children to get more chickies....you shouldn't have any problems getting people to take them.

Last edited:
Those little 3 egg bators rarely work well. The only way they do is if the room they are in stays a constant temp and you babysit them. I know someone stuck theirs into a styrofoam cooler to keep it more stable. They just don't have enough space or material to insulate and keep a proper temp and humidity. I've also seen threads (one quite recently but I don't remember the title) of the chicks hatching and drowning or getting stuck because the thing was too small for them.

You can get the basic hovabator (1602n) and Little Giant styrofoam incubators without a turner for around $40 and they hold up to about 40 standard eggs. I've been using the hovabator for all of my chicken and quail with good results. They still need a fairly constant room temp but they work much better. Some have also found their local 4-h or FFA extension will loan incubators for such projects for free.

Last edited:
That's where I'm getting some of my chicks this spring. Every year the neighborhood elementary school hatches chicks. My neighbor got hers there last spring. Many different colors and varieties. The teacher knows a farm that will take the rest of the chicks.
sandyj

mom'sfolly :

I'm going to be offering my incubator to my son's classroom just so I can get someone else to do the first couple of weeks of brooding. And boy will those chicks get socialized!!! Bwa ha ha ha....using innocent children to get more chickies....you shouldn't have any problems getting people to take them.

Lol this is my third day of science and I am already trying to get the teacher to borrow my hova-bator 1602n. I have even offered to throw in some of my eggs
roll.png
. I can just see some of those scary 8th classmates handling my babies
hmm.png
Yeah scary one kid has told me just grab their head and spin.
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom