Teaching a Rooster not to crow?

venymae

Prairie Wind
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Manhappiness, Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
I've heard of the "hose" method of teaching hens not to be so loud, but does anyone think this would work with a rooster (hit him with a jet of water whenever he crows)? We have a no rooster policy in our town, but I really want a rooster, and one of my young chicks had turned out to be a rooster, he is very quiet so far (hatched newyears) but not mature yet.

Please don't do it. You will only make the rooster fearful of you and could potentially cause harm. If you aren't allowed to keep roosters please don't. You can't change a basic behavior of an animal. It would be similar to someone spraying you with a hose every time you talked, you would still talk, just not in the presence of the one with the hose.

Please don't do it. You will only make the rooster fearful of you and could potentially cause harm. If you aren't allowed to keep roosters please don't. You can't change a basic behavior of an animal. It would be similar to someone spraying you with a hose every time you talked, you would still talk, just not in the presence of the one with the hose.
I agree. By breaking the law this way, you could, in fact, get laws allowing any chickens in your town to be repealed. You could also take a chance on losing your rooster in a way that's beyond your control. If he's reported and Animal Control comes along, could they take him from you? If they can, what would they to with him? In my opinion, the kindest thing you can do for that rooster is find him a nice home in the country where he can crow to his hear's content and act like a rooster. Sometimes the best thing for our animals is the hardest thing for us to do.

You can't train a dog to never bark, you only try to control the urge or to allow some, and teach them to stop after a certain point, and people don't use a hose, that would be cruelty. Chickens and dogs don't think the same. Chickens mostly work off instinct, dogs have a bit more complex brain and more complicated social order. There's no comparison.

Those work by strangling the rooster when his head is lifted high in the crow position, I have read they aren't reliable.

I agree. By breaking the law this way, you could, in fact, get laws allowing any chickens in your town to be repealed. You could also take a chance on losing your rooster in a way that's beyond your control. If he's reported and Animal Control comes along, could they take him from you? If they can, what would they to with him? In my opinion, the kindest thing you can do for that rooster is find him a nice home in the country where he can crow to his hear's content and act like a rooster. Sometimes the best thing for our animals is the hardest thing for us to do.
Lol. I see your concern though people are very lax here. The population of my town is 900, and usually if there is a problem there's a lot of talk before anythings done. That being said, the rooster does already have a go to home with my father out in the countryside (he's got "dibs") if things didn't work out. So far he has not attempted a crow so I was just curious.

I mean, dogs are trained not to bark all the time. What's the difference with a chicken?!?

Back
Top Bottom