Teaching to use nipple waterer

I don't have the start up system anymore but I'm going to have to build one again. Wasn't expecting to have more chicks but have now so I'll be building a smaller one from a 5 gallon bucket I'll make sure I get some pics of the build and I'll post some pics of the one I have in the run now I'm just in the middle of my first hatch and it's taking up my time getting them ready

BTW, I taught my mom's old hens, too. I installed the new nipple bucket I'd built one day at the proper height. They acted fearful of it. I left both fount and nipples in place for a few days. When I came to tend them the next time, I took away the fount, tossed them a bit of scratch, and waited for them to get thirsty. After they'd all demonstrated that they knew where the water was, that was the end of training. It took minutes. And Mom was shocked because she'd convinced herself that they wouldn't/couldn't figure it out. Winter was always such an ordeal with trying to keep their water liquid and the founts are too heavy and awkward for them anymore. The bucket can be filled in place with the hose so the only time they have to lift it is when it's nearly empty for a quick cleaning. A bucket deicer keeps it liquid.

Last edited:
Here is my warterer system

Back
Top Bottom