Teared up...sigh...

audy5000g

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2013
My 3rd batch of turkeys arrived today. As the postal lady handed them to me at 7:00 am, she said, "They look dead!" Well she was right. I got home 5 min. later and opened the box. So glad the kids were not around at the time I opened the box. Many were dead and the rest barely breathing. I am not an animal rights kind of lady, but tears came to my eyes at the suffering of these little babies. I took the 3 out that were not yet dead hoping to revive them but they most likely wont last the evening.

The second batch sent two weeks ago also came some dead and almost all the rest died before night fall. Uggh!

The first batch I got had some died and some ended up crippled. But at least some lived so the kids can show them at the fair.

Just not sure what happened this year. I have never had such problems with turkeys. The one very crippled legged turkey from my first batch a friend took. He seems to be doing well. Just hobbles around. He is over a month old and still alive. 2 more have crippled feet but seem to walk ok. They are also over a month old.

Wish Townline would hatch turkeys earlier. I have never had an issue with their birds. sigh.... Infact kids took Grand and Reserve the year we got them from them. You know what? I am going to order from them next year even if I can't get them early. Silly of me not to.

Thanks for listening. Sorry, I am just sad....

audy5000g wrote: Wish Townline would hatch turkeys earlier. I have never had an issue with their birds. sigh....

Sorry about your losses.

Townline Hatchery isn't too far South of the border, is it? I'd not let any other hatchery deliver any earlier than Townline's earliest date. Turkey poults (commercial BBB's/BBW's, in particular) can develop Spraddle leg owing to chill/too low overall temp. during three days following hatch. All varieties if temp is too high ten days prior to hatch, et al. I'd suspect the little guys got chilled following hatch.

Last edited:
Oh thats just awful i'm sad just thinking about it. I also think that happened because the babys got too cold. Turkey chicks are extremely sensitive to cold and it seems to be a main reason they dont make it to a week or two old. So sad. Hope your luck turns around.

Back
Top Bottom