Technical coop building question.

Pics
pop door ? Im going to try to do the framing for the wall with the pop door today. What size should I make it if I want to maybe in the future install one of those automatic solar pop door openers? Also I ordered large fowl not bantams. Thanks all:)

I made mine 12” x 12”. I had a Midget White turkey use it without issues. Midget whites are smaller than the big broad breasted turkeys but larger than any large fowl chicken.

Remember to put the pop door high enough so the bedding doesn’t get scratched out. Mine is probably about a foot or more above the coop floor. When I have a broody hen with chicks using it I build a stairway with pavers so the chicks can easily get in and out. The older chickens just kind of step up there, no serious jumping required.

pop door ? Im going to try to do the framing for the wall with the pop door today. What size should I make it if I want to maybe in the future install one of those automatic solar pop door openers? Also I ordered large fowl not bantams. Thanks all:)
Hard to say, depends on the auto door manufacturer.

I made my pop door about 14x18".
One has an auto lock that reduced the opening height to about 12" and it works just fine.

Ours is 10" high and 30" long and as the coop grows it will probable too. Right now we tend to use the doors but that will change when the run gets added. But even then we will still have a door to use. It is nice to open in the day for a low breeze to air out the coop on them warmer days in the winter and summer. I simple used gate latches on both sides so it latches closed then just part of another gate latch so it can lock open. I haven't seen coons around and no predators have open them yet .I could always put a lock on them too.
Its on the far right in this picture......

Scott

Not a pretty image but it shows the corner braces that worked for us. Our coop stiffened up considerably once we added these- walls on the coop and the roof should make it nice and rigid too. BTW what kind of dogs do you show?

Not a pretty image but it shows the corner braces that worked for us. Our coop stiffened up considerably once we added these- walls on the coop and the roof should make it nice and rigid too. BTW what kind of dogs do you show?
Love those little feeders...if I wasn't so cheap I'd buy some for my holding cages.
Dog answer below.

Quote:

Ours is 10" high and 30" long and as the coop grows it will probable too. Right now we tend to use the doors but that will change when the run gets added. But even then we will still have a door to use. It is nice to open in the day for a low breeze to air out the coop on them warmer days in the winter and summer. I simple used gate latches on both sides so it latches closed then just part of another gate latch so it can lock open. I haven't seen coons around and no predators have open them yet .I could always put a lock on them too.
Its on the far right in this picture......

Scott

Hard to say, depends on the auto door manufacturer.

I made my pop door about 14x18".
One has an auto lock that reduced the opening height to about 12" and it works just fine.
Thank you for the help but I got impatient and wanted to get it done while the weather held out and I made two coop door openings one from coop to run and one from run to outside where I plan on fencing off woods for foraging. Anyway I made the openings 11x13 but luckily not walls up yet so I could change this size. Do you think this will be ok? Big snow storm here today so no coop building. Also I put corner brackets in ALL corners and there is absolutely no racking anymore YES!!!
woot.gif
So thanks for the tips on the corner bracing! Im getting there and I've learned so much.

Yes! See post above. I did the corner bracing and it did the trick!!! And yes English Setters. Big show in NY this weekend before Westminster on Tues! Unfortunately I am not showing my Setter but I am going to help my friends and my club, plus Setter people are fun. I was supposed to leave today but big storm has delayed me one day. Maybe it wont be as bad for you near the water. Thanks for your help.
p.s. did you get my PM yesterday?

Back
Top Bottom