Technical coop building question.

Pics
Update!! I got a lot done yesterday. The weather was awesome 50F. It's supposed to be the same today and my hubby is going to help me again so I'm hoping for a productive day.
I'm the early morning I was dealing with a lot of slippery ice. I knew that extra gravel would come in handy

Another mistake I made was I forgot to account for the siding when I went to frame out my people door so I have about 1/4" gap that I'll have to patch

Plus the wood was a little warped so that didn't help matters. But the door frame is square so hopefully I'll be ok there.

Next mistake....I didn't realize the wording on my lumber would show through the stain

So out came the sander to remove all the stamped wording

Only to realize Doh! I'm going to be covering this 2x4 with another 2x4 to secure the HC so no need to sand!!!! There are still a few pieces inside the run that you can see the wording but as the saying goes "chickens don't care"

So we got all the sheathing on the roof and will start with the metal roofing today.

It's also so warm for New England in Feb that I started staining and I got a ton done before we had to go visit my in laws.

Hubby on the roof

So today is another good weather day and we are just giving the neighbors another 1/2 hour to sleep in until we start up with the power tools and we going to get back at it. Thanks again for following along and I hope my mistakes will help others with their coop builds. I've learned so much!

Very nice. The build is coming along nicely. It is impressive watching you two build that in that weather. Warm huh. Today was 72 and I was sweating when I was in the sun. I'm also curious as to how long that stain takes to dry. I use a lot of Sikkens and have always waited for warmer days.

Scott

Last edited:
On the door if its the coop people door sided. Then you can trim out the door. and off set or use wide boards to cover the gap. like 1x3 or 4 casing . Like how the do it in a house?

Scott

On the door if its the coop people door sided. Then you can trim out the door. and off set or use wide boards to cover the gap. like 1x3 or 4 casing . Like how the do it in a house?

Scott

Yes, I'll have to trim it out wider or I just might extend the hardware cloth to cover that small gap.

It's looking FABULOUS! And the weather is cooperating nicely. You'll have no numb fingers this week!

The weather was a gift. I even took my long winter coat off! It is so much easier working in warmer temps even if there is still a good amount of snow on the ground. Makes it easier to find dropped screws, they don't disappear
1f609.png

So yesterday I had my DH to help me. We started the day around 10:00ish and look at those temps
1f389.png

We worked until about 3:30 but the roof is on!!!

I stained and stained and stained some more.
1f3a8.png

Then we went out for a nice dinner

Then went home and collapsed into bed.

Things I learned from this weekend:
1. The screws that come with the metal roofs are too long and will stick out into the coop and run and will be a huge project to try to snip off the points? Any suggestions?
2. We tried 3 methods of cutting the metal roof jigsaw (broke the blade), Dremmel with metal cutting blade (both battery packs died too quickly), and finally we used a circular saw with the blade turned backwards (cut it like butter)
3. When cutting metal roofing use eye and ear protection. It's crazy loud and little pieces of sharp metal go everywhere. The neighbors have no doubt something is going on over here.
4. If possible stain your wood ahead of time. That way you can paint in a comfortable position. I could not do this because the weather was just too cold for staining prior to this weekend. But is is body breaking to paint looking up and on a ladder or lying on the ground on your back painting the underside of the coop etc

We had a pretty productive and uneventful day as far as major hiccups go so I'll take it
1f529.png
1f528.png
2600.png
2600.png
2600.png

Looking great!! (especially the drinks with dinner!)
big_smile.png

We use tin snips like these on the metal roofing. (hubby is in HVAC, so he cuts a lot of metal) a little hard on the hands for a bunch of pieces, but they work great.

313L1CCtfFL._SX300_.jpg

A Gracious Good Morning to you Merrymouse,
I had the same issue with the metal roof screws poking thru. What I did was rip a 2x4 down to 1inch strips and them cut them into 1" cubes, drill a pilot hole in them a tad small than the diameter of the screw and then twisted them onto the exposed screws points. I did think about grinding them off but this was easier and quicker, probably does not look as clean but it got the job done.

Back
Top Bottom