Technical coop building question.

So I know I have a bunch of support on this thread so Im posting here in case someone can help me. I have a approx 5 or 6 day old cochin that was never a robust chick. I think she may have injured her toenail on Sunday. Anyway she was limping pretty good yesterday. I put a small dab of antibiotic ointment on her toe. Yesterday I dont think she could really make it to the water and food so I made a separate brooder for her put some papertowels with crumbles and a small cap of water with a bit of nutridrench. She is eating and drinking and peeping. Her poop is normal. In the video I just washed her bottom because she has all wet fresh poop stuck to her. It was not pasty butt. it was not stuck, it was soft and washed right off but that is why her bum is wet. Anyway now she is really wobbly and the wobbly is worse. I posted on the emergency thread but I thought Id try my luck with all of you. Thank you

oops that link is wrong hang on.....

0.jpg

Looks like her legs are not working right at all, can't get up and walk...more than just a funky toenail.
Vent looks awfully strange too...ETA wet butt from washing, never mind.
I'm wondering if she has some skeletal/anatomical deformity?

I'd pick her up and give her a good looking/feeling over, compare her to a chick with normal mobility.

ETA again link to emergency thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1163464/baby-chick-in-trouble

Last edited:
Good news. I fed the chick nutridrench every 3 to 4 hours and I would say she is 100% better. I integrated her back into the flock yesterday. She was knocking on deaths door for sure.
Now back to my coop. I know I keep saying I'm almost done but there are all these tiny things. Anyway thinking of putting the chicks out there tonight or tomorrow. But I have a question. There is a gap in my people door to the run it's small but I just want to make sure this is predator proof. Here is a pic:

Hey this thread is back on track with an actual "technical coop building" question
1f61c.png

I will be posting pictures and maybe a video of the final finished product soon. Well when I say "final" you all know it's never "final" right? I feel like I'll always be tweaking the project! Thanks all for joining me on the journey!

and.........

IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND GUESS WHAT? TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PICTURES TO FOLLOW.........................probably tomorrow....I'm exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom