TEFLON COATED LIGHT BULBS - A KILLER

Jakenhoss

Songster
12 Years
Jan 7, 2008
Punkin Center, Arizona
I am taking excerpts from the August/September issue of "Backyard Poultry". This is the second time running the article.

The jest of the article is warning bird owners of the dangers of using Teflon Coated Light Bulbs for heating their coop. The Teflon is VERY toxic and if you attempt to use one you will wake up to a dead flock.

"'On Feb. 6, 2011, a woman in New Hampshire bought GE's light bulb Rough Service Worklight 100 and it killed her whole flock." It has Teflon coating and Teflon is toxic to birds." She took 4 birds to the Univ.of NH Extension Service veterinarian, Dr. Inga Sidor, where an electron microscopy of the lung tissue was performed and it showed the birds were gassed to death. It showed otherwise her birds were healthy" She also states that the light bulbs are 100 watt but she has seen them in 75's also. The reason she purchased this light bulb is because they advertise shatterproof.

"Some of the company's have put labels on their packaging but GE has not yet complied according to any communications that she has found thus far." Sylvania is one of the companies that does label their product.

In the article is states if you are going to buy a light bulb to warm your chickens MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT CONTAIN TEFLON!

Some of you might already be aware of this danger, but there are a lot of members that might not be aware of this danger.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I just can't see anyone unknowingly kill their chickens trying to keep them warm.

Thank you for your interest - Jakenhoss (Ginger)

Oh my gosh!! How terrible! I'll have to immediately check my bulbs to see if they are. I suppose they are not since my chickens are still alive, but I have had a 75 watt bulb on my sick pullet since I've had her isolated in my chick hosp. in the shop. And I also have on in one of my coops outside. Then I have a heat bulb on my cockerel since he's been sick. I stopped buying GE and Sylvania light bulbs long ago when I discovered that they were not made in the U.S. (something I feel strongly about) they are made in China, Mexico and Indonisia. The cheap generic looking bulbs are made here in U.S.A. This is just another good reason to buy only U.S.A. made products if you can at all help it, even if you have to search. Thank you!! I will check my bulbs. If it's poisonous to chickens or anything at all, it can't be good for humans either. IMHO
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom