Tell me why you keep Roosters...

One of the pullets we got in our last batch ended up being a rooster. To a ratio of 7 hens, there was only a few he regularly mounted and he didn't show any aggressiveness to us. My house is located in a zoning to allow roosters, but I'm still "in town". While we didn't get outright complaints, the neighbors started to say things like "oh, I hear you have a rooster now!". So to keep the peace and to keep friendly neighbors, we decided to cull him out last week. Since none of my hens are of a 'broody' variety, and I figured the chances of actually getting chicks was so slight, I didn't see much reason to keep him around. He made a good wine stewed meal :)

I'd love to have a rooster in the future if I have a larger property or neighbors that aren't so close. Sometimes, doing what is "allowed" isn't always the "right" thing to do!

Hi, new to the site, glad others share of my view and also appreciate other opinions. We wound up with 3 extra roos last time we left a hen nest, 4 total. The old boy was meaner than a snake, could never turn your back on him. With 2 inch spurs he just wasnt safe to keep, he had already got my 7 year old girl in the back. But I took over yard duties because he was so good at dealing with the hawks. We've seen him roll on the ground with them, looked just like a cockfight.
This morning I thanked him for his service but said its time for a change in the guard. So 3 of the boys are in the freezer. My little girl was ok with it now she can go in the chicken yard with the hens. Just hope the new stud is up for the challenge. Hes big and beautiful. We will handle him more to try make him less of a threat.

1. When I yell for him he crows from whatever he is and comes running.
2. When we come home he runs to meet us and runs alongside the car til we get out.
3. He sticks his head in my pocket looking for cashews and if there isn't any he strolls into the kitchen to show me where they are just in case I forgot...
4. Cuz he doesn't realize he's too big to be sitting on my head :/
5. Cuz he holds his wings out like he wants a hug lol and when my daughter hugs him he lays his head on her shoulder.
6. Cuz I don't think he realizes he is actually a chicken...
That's why I keep my Pigpen

My roo king George is so lovely to his girls, he takes the food from my hand and holds it in his beak till one of the girls take it. Rarely will he eat any of the treats. I sing Georgey porgey puddin in a pie kissed the girls and made them cry, to him

Anyone want to share what type of roosters they have that are reliably friendly? I have 7 month old Ameraucana roos and they are all friendly and reliable (so far!)

Anyone want to share what type of roosters they have that are reliably friendly? I have 7 month old Ameraucana roos and they are all friendly and reliable (so far!)   

Well I can honestly say that I've had a silkie, Wyandotte and a barnevelder have a go at me, but none of my sussex ( as big as they are ) has ever been aggressive . I have light , buff and coronation sussex. This is the guy in my avatar, he's all grown up.

1. When I yell for him he crows from whatever he is and comes running.
2. When we come home he runs to meet us and runs alongside the car til we get out.
3. He sticks his head in my pocket looking for cashews and if there isn't any he strolls into the kitchen to show me where they are just in case I forgot...
4. Cuz he doesn't realize he's too big to be sitting on my head
hmm.png

5. Cuz he holds his wings out like he wants a hug lol and when my daughter hugs him he lays his head on her shoulder.
6. Cuz I don't think he realizes he is actually a chicken...
That's why I keep my Pigpen

Everyone wants a rooster like that! Mine clangs on the fence every time I come out.

Has anyone ever convince the city to let them keep a rooster if you live on a half acre lot with no backyard neighbors The police came to our door yesterday to tell us to get rid of our rooster but he was our pet and we do enjoy him. We think the complainer is someone not near us but with nothing better to do than to Tell on people who are bleakking the rules , such as Motorhome's and driveways etc.

Back
Top Bottom