Tell me why you keep Roosters...

I currently have 2 Cockerels, Elvis & Jerry Lee, though it was not on purpose. One of my pullets turned out to be a cockerel (Jerry). Although my 2 boys grew up together, I had to separate them because they did not get along. The dominant one, Elvis (black copper marans) constantly chased and tried to fight the other cockerel Jerry (game), so Jerry was placed in a temporary cage while the Elvis gets to stay with the hens. As soon as I have a second run built, Jerry will get his own flock of girls. I'm also considering a third flock with another rooster.

Having more than 1 roo has pros & cons. I love to see the different colors & temperaments, not to mention the unique crow each roo has. My pen is far enough away from the house that they don't wake me up in the mornings. I also agree with some previous posters, that it's good to have a back-up, as well as variety (if you plan to hatch out chicks). That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with having just one rooster either. It all depends on your preference, as well as the circumstances.

I have roosters for several purposes. I have them to get fertile eggs and chicks, for their personality (though sometimes mean, roosters really do add a lot of personality to a flock), and their pretty colors. The personality is the most important reason for me. I just love their noises, from their "Tuck-tuck" cries to their gurgling/whistling noises that they make when see a flying bird, plane, or butterfly. I find them just a lot more interesting to watch than the hens. Roosters are beautiful, too. They give a flock protection, and, of course, make cute baby chicks!

I have 10 hens and 1 rooster. This is my second batch of chickens. With the first flock we lived in an urban setting and could not have a rooster. This time we are on a farm and I wanted a rooster. He his a very protective mate for the hens, and I love the crowing. Reminds me everyday that we are in a setting we love. Free and out in the country.

I love my hens AND my roos. If on rare occasion I have a roo that starts getting aggressive with me OR the other chickens, I practice some behavior modification and we all come to an understanding.
smile.png
I've never had to cull a roo for being overly aggressive, and trust me, I had one that hurt me severely and he came DARN close to going to freezer camp. He had come to live here after his owner couldn't keep him, and the guy didn't want to see him killed. The roo was caught and brought here and put into an isolation pen. when I went to let him out into the quarantine run area the next morning, he came out the door at me with both feet up. I had 7 deep puncture wounds and a wrist I thought he'd broken. Long story, but I realized he was acting out of TERROR, not aggression. He learned to trust me, I was patient, and now he will let me pick him up and love on him, and he never EVER shows any aggression toward me or the other chickens (including roos). I don't think someone should have to live in terror of an aggressive rooster but I think WAY too many people are WAY too quick to put them in the pot or freezer without giving them a chance to adjust to high hormone levels, environment changes, flock changes, etc. Roos can be just as loving as (and more so than some!) hens. I am blessed to have room for them, and live outside city limits so there are no restrictions on having roosters. As long as I have chickens, I will have at least a couple of roos! <3

Why do I have roosters? Eye candy! They are beautiful. I have an older rooster who is living in a coop/run by himself. He had a stroke this summer and the younger guys are picking on him, but he from the first batch of eggs I ever incubated and is a pet. He's about 7 years old. His son is the alpha roo now.

Roosters bring excitement to the flock. They are beautiful and funny. Their strutting and dancing to woo the ladies, their calls when they find a special treat, and even their crowing at 4:30 in the morning are all priceless. I would find life without roosters extremely dull.

I presently have four adult large fowl roosters, two serama roosters, and several cockerels, most of which are temporary members of the flock (I'll be keeping one special one). The serama boys are the most troublesome of them all and will probably have to go, too.

You asked for reasons why to keep more than one. One not mentioned I don't think would be to vary the breeds you can produce. Of course if all your roosters are the same breed then that's a moot point lol

It could also bring different bloodlines in if you are worried about in breeding in future generations.

I have roosters for breeding purposes and for their role in the flock and I LOVE to hear them crow. Some breeds are more agressive than others but the main reason that roosters usuallly turn agressive is because the owner made a pet out of them. When we make a pet out of them they loose their fear of us then when the hormones kick in the attacks begin.

Back
Top Bottom