Tell me why you keep Roosters...

Why do I keep a Rooster?.....hmmm...trust me I've asked myself this over and over, because he's been high maintenance!!!

~He's a single comb bird that got severe frostbite his first winter and broke a toe which also frostbit and fell off.
~He's territorial. And will flip a switch....Bird brain!
~ He's made my kids cry just because they wore red one day. LOL.
rant.gif

~ When he had another Flockmate that was a Roo he overmated my hens and they had barebacks.
~ His spurs have ripped open one of my Hen's sides (3-4 inches Both sides down to the meat). And now I need to give him Spur pedicures.
To keep a Roo. Why o why?!
idunno.gif

I'll tell you why!
~ Because whenever I go out and holler his name he comes running out of the woods with his whole entourage. And that makes me smile.
~ Because when I hand over those treats to him he gifts them right back to his girls.
~ I've seen moments where I know he is sympathetic and compassionate to his hens.
~ Because while free-ranging several acres of land for the last 18 months he hasn't lost one flock mate.
~ When an eagle or hawk hits our "air space" he has everybody under cover 30 seconds before I even see the predator.
~ Because I'm figuring out his territorialness: The coop is his space--the deck is my space and I can pick him up and give him love. LOL. Fickle bugger. And he's getting to know me and tolerating me a little more too.
~ Because we've been through a lot together getting him "well".
~ Because since I've gotten rid of his competition he's shifted his libido down a gear. LOL.
~ Because everyday my kids go out and play with the chickens: There's a rooster story. "Chicken Days of our Lives"

~ And being superficial--
big_smile.png
--because he is Stunningly beautiful and I love how he graces my yard.....

Last edited:
We originally got 6 chicks who were supposed to be pullets. We wanted to raise them for eggs. But one turned out to be a roo. To be honest, I was so excited I was giddy! Now we can hatch chicks in the spring, and really, I just love to hear a rooster crow. Reminds me of my grandmother's house when I was little!

I have one rooster I got by accident. All my friends with chickens said "DON'T GET A ROOSTER" , but when I got my first chicks (that included 4 EE's) 1 turned out to be a roo. I was kinda glad because to me, a flock isn't complete without one. Well as it turns out he is big and beautiful. I love to hear him crow every time I come out of the house. He was a late crower, but now you can't shut him up. He is very gentle with the hens and I like knowing they have added protection. He is not aggressive at all. I hear it may change as he gets older. I guess I'll just wait and see. I hope not because I absolutely love him...
Here's Rocky
yippiechickie.gif

I think that having roosters around is a great thing because hens aren't nearly as intresting as roosters. They make noise, watch over their flocks and lead the way when free ranging to make sure that every new place explored is secure. With all of the pros to having a rooster there are some cons also. For example I had a few to many roos this year after doing the spring egg swaps, here on this website. The end result came to be to much breeding of the hens that started to effect their health along with excessive fighting. There were 3 to many roosters so they went to the market with a crate of broilers and ever since the balance has been corrected and the flock is doing stupendous. There is no doubt that roosters are a plus to any flock.

if you want a mild mannered rooster i would suggest some sort of oriental just dont keep 2 males together and if you get oriental female watch them but they are very calm and gentle twords people
i breed bantam and standard cubalayas for show along with some other brreds andas far as the cubalayas go i have never had to cull one for agression plus they are butifull

Last edited:
I wish I could keep a rooster. I live in the city and I have "backyard chickens". The nice thing about it is that there is no HOA and the city allows me to keep up to five hens. At least I can enjoy the eggs and my neighbors have no basis to have me get rid of them.

It's good to find out that I do not necessarily have to get rid of one of my roosters just because he is not a hen. I was surprised to find I had two in my batch of supposed pullets, but they get along fine at the moment. I have four hens, who give me eggs every day, usually accompanied by happy noise from one of the boys. ; ) I will keep an eye on them, in case they start fighting, and may have to re-home one if that happens.

Back
Top Bottom