Temp dropped in lock down!!

notbefore

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
Came down this morning the temp had dropped to 76f as the bulb had blown.. Humidity was sat at 80%.

This eggs are all dead now I would guess? Or is there any hope for them? Day 21 today

I'm no expert at this, but I lost power the other night for about 2 hours and 2 out of my 3 duck eggs I'm hatching survived so far. I'd just let them go for a few more days.

Well it was for an hour tops as the light was on at 6:30am but my 7:30am the bulb had blown, by 8am I got it back up to 80f and when I got back from the school run back up to temp

How are the eggs? Any signs of life (fingers crossed for you)? My 2 surviving duck eggs should be hatching Tuesday.

Nothing appears to be going on. No rocking no pips... Cannot listin for them as have nearly 3 week old chicks in the same room.

Scrap that!!! I just blew another bulb shattered it... I had to go in so I took the chance to candle a few in the bator while cutting my hands to bits and found this guy has pipped upside down!!!

Another looks internally pipped... The rest just look full apart from air sac but no movement

Usually a couple of hours is ok. It's when it is 40 degrees outside and the power goes out for 8 hours that you have a problem. Broody hens often leave the nest (and the eggs) to go eat and exercise. But i would just try to keep the temp as constant as possible. And if this is a homemade incubator, I would switch from a single bulb to a dual bulb setup. That way if one blows, the other can at least keep the temp somewhat warm.

Well nothing survived..

We cracked some open and it appears a lot where malposistioned with beaks tucked well and truly in the middle of everything.

The one who pipped died before zipping.

Hoping for better luck on my next batch.

Although I've been given some eggs that have the air sac in the wrong place going the whole bottom of the length of the egg

... And if this is a homemade incubator, I would switch from a single bulb to a dual bulb setup. That way if one blows, the other can at least keep the temp somewhat warm.

X2... Homemade or not, always a good security feature... In my homemade foamy, instead of a single 50/60W lamp, I have 2 x 25W wired in parallel.

Cheers
frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom