Temperament of a Ameracana Rooster

HenHoneyGirl

Chirping
May 26, 2015
Arizona
We're thinking of getting more than one rooster(we have 30+ hens) we want to try and get roosters that are very easy going temperament and aggressiveness wise though, just to try and make sure there's no fighting. We're already planning a Buff Ophington which we've heard are really easy going roosters and we were wondering about ameracanas. What are Ameracana roosters like?

It all depends on the Rooster himself, you could have two identical roosters and one could be a lap chicken and one could be aggressive, meet them in person before you decide to bring one home for the best bet!

If the "Ameraucanas" you're going to get are Easter Eggers as opposed to true Ameraucanas (a certainty if you are getting them from a hatchery or feed store) which are relatively rare and expensive then they will likely be docile, although it can vary somewhat depending on which breeds are used in the EE cross. Easter Eggers are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue (such as olive, green, beige, and even pale pink). Hatcheries and feed stores frequently and incorrectly market their Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas when they are in fact EEs. If you are not familiar with the difference, there is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers. Our Easter Eggers have typically been docile but although they tolerated being handled, they did not really like it (unlike our Buff Orpingtons and some of our other dual purpose breeds which made natural lap pets).

All the EE roos I've met have been flighty. They are known to crow less than other breeds, though, which can be a plus.

If you really want docile, I will recommend a Brahma rooster every single time. Never met a mean one, and even the ones who weren't handled often were quite tame. Beautiful, too, the Lights especially.

All the EE roos I've met have been flighty. They are known to crow less than other breeds, though, which can be a plus.

If you really want docile, I will recommend a Brahma rooster every single time. Never met a mean one, and even the ones who weren't handled often were quite tame. Beautiful, too, the Lights especially.

X2 on the Brahmas as a gentle breed. Other breeds that are generally calm and gentle (there can always be an exception with any breed) are Australorps, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles.

The majority of my Roos are EEs and Ameracaunas. I have never had any that were aggressive, and for the most part all are flighty. I have 2 black ameracaunas and 2 blue ameracaunas, all 4 want nothing to do with people and do not crow very often. My main Roo is an EE and he is very friendly, not a lap chicken but has ever shown a mean streak yet. He does, however, crow a ton!

This is just my experience.

X2 on the Brahmas as a gentle breed. Other breeds that are generally calm and gentle (there can always be an exception with any breed) are Australorps, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles.
Agreed on that. I'm hoping to get a couple of Brahmas next year, maybe keeping one rooster around for a while to breed some sex-linked Brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom