Temperature question

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
We adopted an injured feral pigeon last year and a mate for her this spring. They live outdoors as of the summer. We’re in Washington state. The temps have been mild (around 50-60 deg) but dropping to 20 next week.

The female is frequently broody. Currently nesting and is enclosed in a nestbox now on fake eggs. The male always roosts on a post near her. I’ve offered him a number of spaces but he’s pretty specific about roosting. He’s a “fancy pigeon” though no idea his origins. I got him from a humane society and he was found wandering someone’s yard. I just don’t know how they’re suited for the cold.

Any tips to prep for the upcoming cold snap and those later on? I hope they would seek out shelter but don’t want to count on it if I can provide some more comfort.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4B378FAB-BBAE-4896-AA38-BC0BDB31EDA7.jpeg
    4B378FAB-BBAE-4896-AA38-BC0BDB31EDA7.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 9
She's puffed up already to keep warm. With chickens it's basically keep the coop from being drafty. I sometimes use a regular light bulb in the coop like you would use in construction if it gets super cold. it has a little cage around the bulb on an extention cord and i hang it near a perch. But they acclimatize. Think of all those uncoddled city pigeons!

Back
Top Bottom