Temperment of Buttercup Roosters

Hope for chicks

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
I have acquired a Buttercup Rooster that someone dropped off along the road where I live. Im pretty sure he was hatched this year. I have 24 hens of my own and wondered if this guy will be nice to his ladies. Most of my hens are bantams. I would hate to see them get hurt. I have him in a separate part of our pen for now, i have only had him for 2 days.

I don't know about the breed specifically but there are always exceptions no matter what the typical breed traits are. I would suggest keeping him separated for a while to be sure he's healthy before making any introductions to your flock and that will also give you time to observe him and get to know his personality. As for how he'll treat your hens, there's no way of knowing until he has contact with them. If he's young, chances are pretty good that he's not going to be very gentlemanly initially but he may surprise you. If all of your hens are mature, they should help keep him in line as well. If he's older and not good with them, I would not keep him.

Back
Top Bottom