Temporary run

citykitty

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Cleveland, OH
I have a space next to the house that's enclosed on three sides, and I'd like to let the chickens roam around in there when they aren't in their regular coop/run area. There's a door to the house right there so I can watch them. It would only be during the day when we're home or working in the yard.

A few questions:

--Will deer fencing (the thick green stuff) keep them in if it's tall enough? I just want a temporary fence. Will 6 or 8 feet be tall enough?
--Since it's right next to the house, will hawks/owls still be a threat? There aren't trees close to this area.
--Will deer netting (the thinner black stuff) keep the chickens out of my herbs and lettuce?
--How do I get them over there, just pick them up and carry them, or can I train them to follow me with tasty treats? I mean how fun would that be, a little chicken parade.
--A semi-unrelated question. Can I bring them into the garden with me while we're working, or will they destroy my vegetables in a short time? I don't care if they have some, just not all of them LOL.

Thank you!

--Will deer fencing (the thick green stuff) keep them in if it's tall enough? I just want a temporary fence. Will 6 or 8 feet be tall enough?
--Since it's right next to the house, will hawks/owls still be a threat? There aren't trees close to this area.
--Will deer netting (the thinner black stuff) keep the chickens out of my herbs and lettuce?
--How do I get them over there, just pick them up and carry them, or can I train them to follow me with tasty treats? I mean how fun would that be, a little chicken parade.
--A semi-unrelated question. Can I bring them into the garden with me while we're working, or will they destroy my vegetables in a short time? I don't care if they have some, just not all of them LOL.

1. Yes that should be tall enough, unless you have a super flighty bird(s).
2. Birds of prey have taken chickens right in front of people before, so there'll always be some level of risk.
3. That should work! Chicken wire is also good for this purpose, and I prefer it over trying to untangle the netting. Or... you can get heavier netting which is less likely to tangle.
4. Both ways will work. I have led my chickens around the yard, I've herded them from behind, I've carried them. I will say of the 3, herding is the fastest. Carrying can take a long time if you have a lot of birds, and they don't always have the best attention span for leading (i.e. they walk 5 feet, get distracted by a blade of grass, and forget about you).
5. Yes, but I guarantee as soon as your back is turned they'll be tearing something up! Mine make a beeline for the mulch around my garden beds, but never while I'm watching.

I'll see what kind of stronger temporary fencing I can get for the herbs/lettuce, there has to be something better than netting. Maybe even those small garden fences that are plastic, i can just move them around.

I'll put something in the area like a big table umbrella to further discourage the hawks from dive-bombing, and keep the girls out of the hot sun. Spoiled.

So how exactly do you herd chickens? Hilarious comment about them seeing a blade of grass and forgetting about you :lau

I'll see what kind of stronger temporary fencing I can get for the herbs/lettuce, there has to be something better than netting. Maybe even those small garden fences that are plastic, i can just move them around.

I'll put something in the area like a big table umbrella to further discourage the hawks from dive-bombing, and keep the girls out of the hot sun. Spoiled.

So how exactly do you herd chickens? Hilarious comment about them seeing a blade of grass and forgetting about you :lau
I've had good luck with "classical conditioning" and a bag of soldier fly larvae. Rattle the bag like the pied piper...

I herd them back to the run by walking behind them while holding the poop scooper (gives my arms a good 3' extension on each side). I just keep the birds between the arc between the extensions, and walk forward. The chickens know the way back to the run. Stragglers or wanderers get a light poke on the behind.

If we're coming out of the run no herding is needed, they just go whichever way they want in a loose group.

Back
Top Bottom