Terrible, awful day. Almost all of my chickens dead. ***Update***

cyanne

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Cedar Creek, TX
Hey, guys, it's been quite a while since I last posted but I figured nobody else would get how I am feeling right now. Came home to find almost my entire flock dead without a mark on them. My first thought was the heat, but it wasn't any hotter than it has been and there were several heavy-feathered birds sitting on nests in the hottest areas of the coop that were untouched. Also, the pop-door of the coop was wide open to their run so they could have just walked right outside if it was too hot inside.

Then I thought maybe it was some sort of gas, like maybe ammonia build-up. But there was no ammonia smell and the birds hanging out up in the rafters where gas would rise to were also fine.

Then I remembered that my hubby had just re-filled their feeders with feed I had recently bought. Now I am thinking that batch of feed may have been contaminated with something or maybe they put some other kind of feed in the wrong bag.

I immediately pulled the feeders out and have saved the feed. Also put a couple of the hens in the freezer in case I need to have them tested. I am going to call the feedstore in the morning to see if anybody else has reported anything strange.

Just so devastated right now. It is bad enough to lose one or two at a time to a predator or illness, but to come home and see so many (at least 20) lying scattered all over the coop....some of these birds I have had for at least 3 or 4 yrs and many were cherished pets with names. Our sweet little silkie hens, Mumu & Mimi....most of our light Brahma hens, most of the Orloff hens (still not sure which ones died and which survived), our giant black Orpington rooster, Pansy, who I bought as an egg from this list. Little Mumu the silkie hen had hatched him and his siblings out a couple years back and he grew to be this gentle giant who guarded the flock but never showed the slightest aggression towards people. Our black & white muscovie hen that had blue eyes and was such a dedicated momma...the EE hens Honey & Snickers...so many names and faces just gone.

Their roost, which is normally packed every night had just a few survivors huddled together looking shell-shocked and scared. The saddest thing was seeing the little white frizzled cochin hen all by herself. She had been raised from a chick with a dark brahma and Mimi the white silkie and they were inseparable. They went everywhere together and slept cuddled together each night. Both of her friends were among the dead so she is all alone now.

Hubby was even more upset than me...he kept naming off his favorites and asking if they were okay and so many weren't. I held him while he cried and then we went to work picking them all up and putting them in trash bags. Too many to bury and the coyotes would just dig them up anyway. Just such an awful, awful day. Wish I could go back and have it never have happened.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
That is really horrible, I am very sorry for your and your husbands losses. I hope you find out what happened so that maybe you can get some closure.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:
OH My Goodness, I am SO terribly sorry for you and for your husband. We lost a couple chicks this week to a playful dog. I thought that was sad, but what you are dealing with is horrible, just horrible. I understand when you say you wish you could just go back and have it not ever have happened at all. I appreciate your post, as I am new to raising chickens. We are already getting attached to the few we have. I understand just how fragile their lives are, and how precious. I hope your days ahead get easier. Sincerely. Would love to hear if you determine the cause.

OMG I am so sorry...I cannot even imagine ... here are some big hugs for all of you !
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Please let us know if you all figure it out....I would suggest getting a bit of the new food tested at the vet office or an autopsy on on of the birds.....That is way to many, to go unnoticed. Was there any sign of breaking in, or struggle? any lumps or bumps on the birds??

Sending prayers and thoughts your way...
God Bless,

Laura

Back
Top Bottom