terrielacy, don't look here!

It is hard to decide, we have both. The good quality runners lay lots of white eggs with a blue/green tint and have a very upright carriage. The cayugas eat alot, lay about 1/2 the eggs as runners but the eggs they do lay are like araucana blue, and dont make people laugh when they see them. Will you just have them to have them, or will you eat the eggs or extra birds? If you want dual purpose, go cayuga if you want egg layers that come in many colors, go with runners. Metzers waterfowl in CA has runners in 4 colors or so that show decent.

flying -

Thanks for the advice. I really just want them as pets, decorations for the pond; although I do know someone that would probably buy the eggs from me or I could use the eggs myself since I do alot of baking.

The reason I decided on black runner as opposed to other color varieties is that I am firm about ordering from Ideal and they only offer 2 color varieties, black and fawn/white. After staring at pics of both for awhile, I decided the blacks are prettier (to me).

Thanks to all y'all for the advice. I'm sure I'll need more of the same after my order gets here.

Back
Top Bottom