Texas newbie

Maybe a couple friends for her would be nice too, they can roost together, keep company, keep warmth, etc.  It's like potato chips and cats, you can never have just one!

Yes, we are looking into finding some "fowl" friends to keep her cpmpany. They will more likely be chicks, though, and will have to stay separated until they grow. At what age can they be integrated? Do they need to be the same breed? What if she doesn't like her step-sisters? Lol!

**CJ**

Congratulations on your new blessing. God brought you two together for a reason according to his will. She needs friends and probably won't be picky as to breed but age could be a concern. Since she was likely raised in the poultry plant she has been with others her own age. You would be really surprised how easy it is to start a "chicken rescue" flock. Put the word out in your area that you have a lone hen and all kinds of people will be offering you birds to keep her company. We never bought a chick for the first 2 years. Once Facebook found out we had a coop we were besieged by chickens from friends and neighbors. Just last week my wife's best friend decided she wanted to give us 20 chickens as soon as she found out I built a new larger coop. We already have 40! No we don't want another 20!

Congratulations on your new blessing. God brought you two together for a reason according to his will. She needs friends and probably won't be picky as to breed but age could be a concern. Since she was likely raised in the poultry plant she has been with others her own age. You would be really surprised how easy it is to start a "chicken rescue" flock. Put the word out in your area that you have a lone hen and all kinds of people will be offering you birds to keep her company. We never bought a chick for the first 2 years. Once Facebook found out we had a coop we were besieged by chickens from friends and neighbors. Just last week my wife's best friend decided she wanted to give us 20 chickens as soon as she found out I built a new larger coop. We already have 40! No we don't want another 20!

Really?! I never thought people would be willing to just give away chickens! I'm gonna put the word out ASAP! Thank you so much for answering my prayer & acting as an instrument of God's hands!
I'll let you know what happens
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Hello!and welcome to BYC!!!this is a great place to learn about chickens and other animals!!the learning center,as some other people have said,is a great place to start!if you need any help,feel free to PM me about it,and I'll do my best to help!

Yes, we are looking into finding some "fowl" friends to keep her cpmpany. They will more likely be chicks, though, and will have to stay separated until they grow. At what age can they be integrated? Do they need to be the same breed? What if she doesn't like her step-sisters? Lol!

**CJ**

Hi CJ. I would follow the integration advice here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

It's really important to quarantine the new chicks from the old and even though you only have one, it would be best to follow safe protocol no matter how big or small your flock is. On average its
about 30 days to quarantine, but we usually do for 60. As far as breed, they don't need to be the same. When you do get some babies, make sure they have been sexed. I'm pretty sure that you don't want to pick up 6 babies and they all end up being roos. When integrating, they will fight for a pecking order. Just make sure that they don't get too injured. Separate any that are bleeding and reintroduce after healing. It is not a pretty sight, but pecking order must be established for an overall calm group and you need to let them do it with as little interference as possible. Take a look at that article. If you have any questions, ask ask ask!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hi CJ. I would follow the integration advice here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

It's really important to quarantine the new chicks from the old and even though you only have one, it would be best to follow safe protocol no matter how big or small your flock is. On average its
about 30 days to quarantine, but we usually do for 60. As far as breed, they don't need to be the same. When you do get some babies, make sure they have been sexed. I'm pretty sure that you don't want to pick up 6 babies and they all end up being roos. When integrating, they will fight for a pecking order. Just make sure that they don't get too injured. Separate any that are bleeding and reintroduce after healing. It is not a pretty sight, but pecking order must be established for an overall calm group and you need to let them do it with as little interference as possible. Take a look at that article. If you have any questions, ask ask ask!!  :yiipchick

Thank you so much for the heads up. I'm sure I'd have freaked out otherwise. I know nature is not always kind, but it's good to be forewarned.

Back
Top Bottom