Texas newbie

Welcome.
Where in Texas are you located.
Im in Houston.

I'm in Gilmer. It's a little po-dunk town near Longview.
1f60a.png

Has she been laying for you? If so please do start her on regular layer feed for chickens and also put out a container of crushed oyster shell for added calcium. She would eat that free choice if she feels she needs it.

Have you named her yet?

I would forgo the rooster offer, at least for now. A rooster can handle 10 hens, less than that and he can physically damage them by over breeding, etc.

I agree with DD, you don't want a rooster as her only coop mate. Especially since you are new to chicken keeping. You got a pretty quick response on the rooster, I am sure someone will come along soon with a hen or two they are willing to part with. Chicken people are all pretty quick to want what is best for other people's flocks. There is someone out there who won't want your girl to be lonely and will offer up some friends for her. I hope you have started arranging for a good place to house them.

Has she been laying for you? If so please do start her on regular layer feed for chickens and also put out a container of crushed oyster shell for added calcium. She would eat that free choice if she feels she needs it.

Have you named her yet?

I would forgo the rooster offer, at least for now. A rooster can handle 10 hens, less than that and he can physically damage them by over breeding, etc.

I haven't seen any eggs yet. She doesn't like the chicken feed I received from a friend of mine...not dry at least. She will eat it if it's wet with watermelon water.
Looks like I will have to wait on the rooster.
Thank you!

P.s. Her name is Lucky Lady but, I call her Waldo because you never know where you'll find her. Lol!

I agree with DD, you don't want a rooster as her only coop mate. Especially since you are new to chicken keeping. You got a pretty quick response on the rooster, I am sure someone will come along soon with a hen or two they are willing to part with. Chicken people are all pretty quick to want what is best for other people's flocks. There is someone out there who won't want your girl to be lonely and will offer up some friends for her. I hope you have started arranging for a good place to house them.

I have built a coop for her large enough to accommodate at least 5 more chickens and there's a few acres of on which to roam.

Last edited:
Okay, so I just found my chicken laying on her side with her feet up! I thought, "Oh no! She's dead!" But then my hubby reached down to pick her up and she rolled over, stood up and looked at us like, "What?! Is something wrong?" She seems fine and is walking around like it was no big deal. Is this normal? I'm fixin' to bed her down in her coop for the night, but don't want to be up all night worrying about her.

Dirt baths are supposed to cool them off somehow. My dogs do the same thing. Also all the chicken experts say it helps control mites and parasites. A lot of owners get pretty complicated and create dirt bathing areas for their birds. Look it up in the forum search. Check out "the coop of the week" right now. TerryH built a wishing well dirt bath out of landscape bricks for his flock. Really cool.
Mine have never taken water baths that I know of. We had a small kiddie pool just outside the run for them to cool off in when they free ranged. I saw them drink from it but never saw them go wading around. Mine don't like getting wet. They run and hide when it rains.
Look on YouTube for "chickens taking a dirt bath".

Back
Top Bottom