Texas

frow.gif

Just returned from a trip to the Hill Country .. 992 miles on the motorcycle .. and my face shows it! lol.

It was a GREAT time!
woot.gif

My human girls stayed home and took care of the chickens and dogs .. and everything survived!!

Quote:
not sure if this will help you or not but mine are all enclosed with windows that have hardwire over them. my chickens spend most of the day out in their run and only go into the coop to lay or eat since their feed is in there. the run is in the trees so they have lots of shade and cover during the hot summer. the only thing i want to change on mine is put somekind of temp cover for some of the windows for when it rains to help keep the moisture out so the shavings stay dry.

Hey .. anyone in the CONROE area have any 1-2 day old chicks that I can buy ONE of ... We had ONE chick hatch while I was gone and it is soooooooo pitiful in the brooder all by itself ...

Quote:
Our coop is completely enclosed, but there's an attached 20 X 20 run covered with bird netting over the top. The chicks spend a great deal of their time outside in the run, or at least they did. Here lately I've gone home several times at lunch and the majority of the chickens are inside the coop. I noticed the other day when they were out in the run, there were some crows the overhead but not within eyeshot of the chickens. As they flew by they cawed and the peeps all went tearing back inside the coop. I figured at 16 weeks old they wouldn't be scared of crow calls anymore.

good afternoon everyone! I've been working on my extension plans. I don't know if I scan them and attach them if it would work (and my drawings aren't to scale anyway). I've got my north wall drawn and the south wall drawn. The south wall will have the nest boxes and will be the most complicated for me I think. The east wall is going to be butted up against the existing east wall and will be joined. The west wall is going to have another 'people' door and will be the easiest/quickest way into the coop. I think I'm going to hardware cloth most of this wall. Gonna start my clean up of the expansion area this weekend and hopefully will have a final list of supplies needed. I've made to 5 gallon feeder for the flock and it is so much easier to use these than the chick feeders. I think the gang is enjoying them too!! The automatic waters will be made this weekend too!

hi all its been a while since i have posted on this thread but i have been so busy lately. my girls joined 4H this year and of course wanted to do the broiler project so i have been in the process of trying to figure out how and where i'm going to put 50 birds! thankfully they wont be here till right before thanksgiving but that seems to be getting closer and closer. also i have been trying to build my next coop for the chicks that are hatching
fl.gif
in the next 2 days and the ones i got a month or so ago. i have the floor framed up but thats it. i have had 2 hens go broody on me of course after i had already set eggs in the incubator so had to break one of them i think the other one i might give some of the chicks that hatch to, but the other one didnt seem to dedicated so... and i had to place another hen in time out because of her plucking the neck feathers off of 2 other hens. so hoping that her attitude is better after spending 2 days in chicken jail.
rant.gif
does anyone know of anyone semi close that would have blue jersey giant eggs for sale? i had some hatching eggs but only one hatched and of course the older it gets the more i think its a roo. not ready as of yet to get any but would like to get some close if there is any around. thanks all

Back
Top Bottom