Histomoniasis (blackhead disease) central texas

Justinlynch

In the Brooder
May 26, 2023
Raising a small flock under 40, on 15 acres of land for over 7 years now and no sign of blackhead in my chickens or turkeys, who commonly range in the same fields, simply because they seem to like eachother.
Going into this spring I've upped my turkey count, with an extra 20 for possible sale or long term freezing as family gifts. I'm wondering if we have any one in central texas who has actually seen histomoniasis be an issue. With my numbers going up I have to take a few more preventative measures, trying to get the turks in the back field while keeping chickens in the front, but they don't always agree with me, and go find there small friends.

Has anyone here lost a flock to histomoniasis? If so what were the conditions that lead to infection?

How common is histomoniasis in central texas (greater austin area) and does our rocky hot soil hold the parasites well?

Would it be worth it to start clipping wings and using my horse fence to keep them apart (mostly) for the health of my turkeys. Or could the be forgone so long as they don't sleep together?

In the end, I enjoy free rangeing all my birds, after they are big enough to not be eaten right away. I understand there are risks in doing so, but not at the cost of my whole flock. But is it really that much of an risk or am I paranoid?

Raising a small flock under 40, on 15 acres of land for over 7 years now and no sign of blackhead in my chickens or turkeys, who commonly range in the same fields, simply because they seem to like each other.
Going into this spring I've upped my turkey count, with an extra 20 for possible sale or long term freezing as family gifts. I'm wondering if we have any one in central texas who has actually seen histomoniasis be an issue. With my numbers going up I have to take a few more preventative measures, trying to get the turks in the back field while keeping chickens in the front, but they don't always agree with me, and go find there small friends.

Has anyone here lost a flock to histomoniasis? If so what were the conditions that lead to infection?

How common is histomoniasis in central texas (greater austin area) and does our rocky hot soil hold the parasites well?

Would it be worth it to start clipping wings and using my horse fence to keep them apart (mostly) for the health of my turkeys. Or could the be forgone so long as they don't sleep together?

In the end, I enjoy free ranging all my birds, after they are big enough to not be eaten right away. I understand there are risks in doing so, but not at the cost of my whole flock. But is it really that much of an risk or am I paranoid?
You may continue to be blackhead free but unfortunately song birds can bring the disease in. I believe that it was Sandhill Preservation Center that was blackhead free for 20 years before it hit them.

If it does become a problem, the ground where chickens have defecated should be considered contaminated.

Raising a small flock under 40, on 15 acres of land for over 7 years now and no sign of blackhead in my chickens or turkeys, who commonly range in the same fields, simply because they seem to like eachother.

In the end, I enjoy free rangeing all my birds, after they are big enough to not be eaten right away. I understand there are risks in doing so, but not at the cost of my whole flock. But is it really that much of an risk or am I paranoid?
I’m also in central Texas, and I’ve never heard about there being risk of blackhead here. I have friends who have turkeys as well, and they keep them intermingled with chickens as well, they haven’t had issues either.

Back
Top Bottom