Texas

Quote:
For eating, the refrigerator. For hatching, I put them in right away, or I just purchased a wine chiller that will keep the eggs at 65 degrees without all the inherent dangers of the refrigerator. If you did that, tip the cartons from side to side daily, and the embreyos, in theory, should last to about 14 days, until you either need to hatch them or you have worthless eggs.

Thanks! I ended up defaulting to coolest spot in the house (65-68), and turning regularly (all together in the carton, so less individual handling). I'll set after about 6 days. Getting incubator set up today.

Dumbledore (rooster who was attacked) is doing very well, but I still want to try hatching (just in case). If something goes wrong, I am hoping I would have another chance when the girls are in peak condition and the timing is more in sync with my schedule - but we can't control everything...

- Ant Farm

i always took a survey of my girls eggs to check for firtility rates... we saved a few dz then i made everyon in the house a 3 egg omelet dogs included... that way we get a good cencus on the fertility prior to setting... before we started doing this i had a bad time with hatch rates from my girls... idk? what the rest of yall think of what i did? good idear or bad idear?

i always took a survey of my girls eggs to check for firtility rates... we saved a few dz then i made everyon in the house a 3 egg omelet dogs included... that way we get a good cencus on the fertility prior to setting... before we started doing this i had a bad time with hatch rates from my girls... idk? what the rest of yall think of what i did? good idear or bad idear?

Always a good idea to check for fertility by cracking open an egg every once in awhile. What you did is a great idea.

Quote:
While I have 5 hens, I have been checking that with my Marans, all fertile. I am going to give it another go when the other 20 girls start laying to be sure.

and i got fat in the process!!! lol quality control! i ate everything that i came across in the yard!!! lol

yuckyuck.gif
Don't tell me this... I'm starting a high protein diet tomorrow and will be eating 4 eggs a day
th.gif

Quote: Awesome. We don't have any roosters of breeding age and we are still laying ONLY ONE egg a day
sad.png
so I'm not checking anything. (13 hens last one still molting)

If you're hatching, Miss Sally Sunshine has a thread going about incubation and such if you have questions.

INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come hatch, learn, Chat, Meet new Friends!
X2 I love Sally and all of the expertise she provides. I just can't keep up on her thread, lol. Just hatched 6 of 6 duck eggs using everything she and the other folks have taught me
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
Don't tell me this... I'm starting a high protein diet tomorrow and will be eating 4 eggs a day
th.gif

Awesome. We don't have any roosters of breeding age and we are still laying ONLY ONE egg a day
sad.png
so I'm not checking anything. (13 hens last one still molting)

X2 I love Sally and all of the expertise she provides. I just can't keep up on her thread, lol. Just hatched 6 of 6 duck eggs using everything she and the other folks have taught me
smile.png
I don't even bother keeping up, I just catch the recaps and drop in every so often.

Back
Top Bottom